[Newspoetry] Newspoetry Digest

William Gillespie william at spinelessbooks.com
Mon Oct 31 10:01:30 CST 2005

Today's Topics:

1. New Music in Urbana
2. How to Unsubscribe
3. A Line a Day Oct. 2005
4. Scott Rettberg's 20 Consonant Birthday Newspoem
5. Newspoetry Job

1.

New Music in Urbana

The ninth annual Salvatore Martirano Award Concert
  7:30 p.m. Wednesday, November 2nd
Foellinger Great Hall at Krannert Center.

The U. of I New Music Ensemble conducted by Eduardo
Diazmunoz and Zack Browning will perform the winning works.

Virtuoso Cleveland saxophonist Howie Smith will perform
Martirano’s “LON/Dons” for saxophone and chamber orchestra.

The Boneyard Jazz Quintet will feature Howie Smith at a
post-concert reception in the lobby.

Tickets for the concert are $ 5 for the general public, $ 4
for senior citizens and $ 2 for students.

see complete announcement below:

PRESS RELEASE:  2005 Martirano Award Concert
Contact: Zack Browning
9th Annual Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition Award
Concert
Wednesday Night, November 2, 2005 at 7:30 PM in the
Foellinger Great Hall, Krannert Center for the Performing
Arts

The ninth annual Salvatore Martirano Memorial Composition
Award Concert will take place at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday,
November 2nd in the Foellinger Great Hall at the Krannert
Center for the Performing Arts.  During the concert, the
University of Illinois New Music Ensemble, Eduardo
Diazmunoz, conductor/artistic director and Zack Browning,
associate conductor, will perform the winning works of the
2005 competition. A reception for the winning composers will
immediately follow the concert.

The Martirano Composition Award competition and concert are
held each year in memory of Salvatore Martirano, a UI
professor of composition from 1963 to 1995.  The 2005
competition received 241 entries.  Since it started, the
competition has drawn more than 1,400 entries from more than
30 countries.

The winner this year is Steven Rice, 26 of Baltimore,
Maryland. He will receive a $1,000 award and be present at
the concert to hear the performance of his piece “Murmurs
from Limbo,” performed by the New Music Ensemble.

Browning, who coordinates the annual composition
competition, quotes Rice as saying his piece is  “like
Finnegans Wake, in that it is a piece of the night, of the
dark, of the unknown, of death, but where there is perhaps
the twinkle of a hope of resurrection.” The piece is scored
for chamber ensemble with two vocalists who sing and speak
Middle English texts that come from anonymous poets of the
13th and 15th centuries.

The second-place award of $250 went to Italian composer
Paulo Longo for his composition “Albertson-Variations” for
quintet and honorable mention went to Andrew McBirnie of
London for his “Ritornel” for chamber ensemble.  McBirnie
will be in attendance for the performance of his work.

Rice received his Baccalaureate of Music from the University
of Wisconsin - Stevens Point, and a Master of Music from
Bowling Green State University, where he studied acoustic
music with Marilyn Shrude and Burton Beerman, and
electroacoustic music with Mikel Kuehn and Elainie Lillios.
His composition “Three Frescos” was a finalist in the 2004
Music Teachers National Association National Young Artist
Composition Competition.

The award concert will also feature guest artist Howie Smith
from Cleveland State University performing Salvatore
Martirano’s composition “LON/Dons” (1989) for saxophone and
chamber orchestra. Tickets are $5 for the general public, $4
for senior citizens and $2 for students.  For more
information, call 333-2620 or visit www.music.uiuc.edu.

2.

How to Unsubscribe

If you are no longer willing to participate in Newspoetry, you must
return your language to our headquarters. You will receive your deposit
of 1000 ml ozone, but a team of nuclear weapons inspectors will scan
you to remove stray radioactive particles. Your Newspoetry hat, badge,
GPS apparatus, must be repacked in your Newspoetry briefcase, and
mailed to our central office in Urbana. We will ask that you unsend any
messages sent to our friendly email list. It's up to you. But may I be
frank? If you'd prefer a more high-profile email poetry list you will
get what you deserve. The Newspoetry engine is inefficient and those
who keep it belching greasy smoke must crank it by hand. Indifference
references obsequious sycofantilism, Newspoetry is the form of poetry
poets fear most. But if our Newspoetry conferences, our Newspoetry
tenure-track positions, our Newspoetry gardens don't complement your
aura, then you'll be buried under museum glass while we bang alleycan
symphonies on trashcans and blown bottles. There is no legitimacy like
no legitimacy.

3.

A Line a Day October 2005
(redux, including responses sent to this email list)

20051001|       Robbing hood steals from the poor to give to the poor;
halliburton wants in

20051002|       the ribbons that blossomed on bumpers during the
springtime of our concern have faded

20051003|       the Post reported earlier in the week that the White
House had contacted the Heritage Foundation, the American Enterprise
Institute and similar right-wing think tanks, seeking policy proposals
that could be introduced using the Katrina disaster as a pretext

20051004|       flaming towers, flooded city: punishing father maps any
vivid source domain onto tax relief or suspended anti-pollution laws in
the opportunity zone

20051005|       in today's delta tolls: 1193 dead, 3000 fired, 40,000
homeless

20051006|       walk on the water or purify yourself; trickle-down
economics, a rising tide lifts all yachts

20051007|       this news a symphony through a cellular, bursts of pure
amplitude surrounded by continuous silence

20051008|       policy echoes in response pure noise in which the ear
can pick out the most beautiful imaginable melodies

20051009|       a new label, a larger bottle of the same depleted
uranium snakeoil

20051010|       revoke the posse whose sweating helmeted teenaged
soldiers loaded with weaponry slump in the lifeguard chairs

20051011|       while the narrative slumps, another actor has crept
onstage, as magicians must eventually repeat a trick

20051012|       --we've got no plot, so we'll click with conflict, and
everyone will eat at Rick's Cafe Americain...

20051013|       according to this recursive metonymy, if the government
is our father who art in Washington, the president is syphilis, and we
are a trick baby

20051014|           who was lost in the desert holding an upside-down
roadmap, but now am getting treatment

20051015|       in Katrina's wake, fraud and scams soar, say
authorities, rumors of euthanasia at hospital are probed, evacuees
struggle to find housing, a newt might run for president, Bush predicts
more fighting in Iraq, to cure terrorism, outbreaks of citrus cancer,
yellow dragon disease, H5N1 virus bird flu, four Amish children with
polio

20051016|       (meanwhile in today's Pakistan tolls, 30,000 dead,
2,000,000 homeless)

20051017|       and the federal deficit overextended as any metaphor:
woman cut pregnant neighbor to steal baby, police say

20051018|           for example, ignorance is not really strength, but
if you just repeat the word "strength"

20051019|           but the accountability office said on Friday: "The
prepackaged news stories are purposefully designed to be
indistinguishable from news segments broadcast to the public. When the
television viewing public does not know that the stories they watched
on television news programs about the government were in fact prepared
by the government, the stories are, in this sense, no longer purely
factual. The essential fact of attribution is missing."

20051020|           I am opposed to murder, rape, torture, but

20051021|           I got the red state blues, breeders not readers
whose newspapers are encrypted in a foreign policy language, whose life
ends at birth, will someone unsubscribe me please?, framing what’s
unsaid:

20051022|           “As of Oct. 20, the Second Amendment is probably in
the best shape in this country that it's been in decades.”

20051023|           if we force democracy on them, they’re going to
want overtime, but

20051024|        “That is what justice is, to give without question to
the miserables, the victims of life, ignoring merits in causes.”

20051025|           the president as conductor, viola players gaze up
piteously awaiting deportation

20051026|           “What we have done is taken this little ball of
quicksilver and hit it with a hammer.”

20051027|           in today's Iraq tolls: one U.S. military casualty
for every year since the birth of Christ, but Iraqi civilian casualties
move on to the year 30,000

20051028|           Ben Franklinstein's monster, the new Supreme Court
raises the minimum rage

20051029|           patreasonism

20051030|           “What nurturing parents want to create are
competent individuals who know how to choose for themselves and who are
not hide-bound to the demands of others. This is an opposing model of
freedom--under the strict father, freedom is more like what Kant
reduced it to, ‘you are free to do your duty.’”

20051031| “A photo on the White House Web site shows Bush in Crawford,
Texas, watching [National Hurricane Center Director Max] Mayfield give
a briefing on Aug. 28, a day before [twisted homewrecker] Katrina
smashed ashore with 145-mph winds.”

4.

Scott Rettberg's 20 Consonant Birthday Newspoem

35 Scooter

You oxen, whet, spark hole
of magic, jived. Boo! Quiz:
You see politician who care?
Vex me: joke, quag, zip!
Feed bag of lies to
Our media; quick jab hope.
Ax view of yon zoo.

My 35th birthday conincided with "Fitzmas," the indictment of Scooter
Libby and the confirmation of a deeply troubling culture of corruption
in the White House.--Scott

5.

Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Newspoetry   [1097]

The University of Newspoetry seeks an Assistant, Associate, or Full
Professor of Newspoetry, tenure-track or tenured, with specialities in
later-nineteenth or twentieth-century Newspoetry and in creative
writing (Newspoetry); supporting strengths in film or media studies
welcome. The successful candidate will present a balanced and
clearly-documented commitment to both Newspoetry scholarship and
creative Newspoetry endeavor. Teaching, divided between creative
Newpoetry and literature, may include courses in the undergraduate
major, the humanities-based general curriculum, the Newspoetry program,
and the honors Newspoetry program, as well as graduate seminars and
service on dissertation committees. Send letter of application, vita,
and dossier or letters of recommendation to Professor Lars Engle,
Chair, Faculty of Newspoetry, University of Newspoetry, 600 S. College
Avenue, Tulsa, OK  74104. Review of applications will begin 1 October
2005 and will continue until the position is filled. Deadline 7
November for NYT interview.

Onwerd,
William

Spineless Books PO Box 893 Edwardsville IL 62025
Phone 401-330-0835 Fax 618 307 3386