[Newspoetry] FW: Impeachment and Indictment Defense Strategies.

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Sat Jan 28 17:10:42 CST 2006

Impeachment and Indictment Defense Strategies.
 <http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012806Z.shtml>
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/012806Z.shtml

Bush-Cheney lawyers are defining their legal defenses,
according to the classic precepts of Criminal Law,
as designed for use by high-profile defendants.

First level defense --
Untouchability: Pillars of Nation would Shake.
Don't impeach us all at once!
Why government would fail!
It's unconstitutional!
It's unfair!
(Mommy!)

Second level defense (if first wins): --
Confuse: The Tammany Hall circle jerk.
Don't impeach-indict me first,
because that guy over there is responsible.
(Stand in circle; point to one another
See an old Thomas Nash cartoon.)

Third level defense (with me so far?) --
Delay: The Rapunzel defense.
Climb the long set of circular stairs.
Prosecutors love this one.
Start at low levels.
Squeeze the underlings,
build a case up brick by brick.
(Currently featured in the Abramoff circus,
which inspires the fourth defense.)

Fourth level defense (still hot on my trail?) --
Interference: bribe or fire the prosecutors.
(Bribes will seal the lips of the prosecutors
who investigating allegations of bribery.)
<<QV: my news poem a few days back.>>

Fifth level defense (who are those guys?)--
Powerplay: accused appoints commission!
This is almost like a checkmate in chess.
Letting a sinner whitewash his sins away.
(Well, it's too complicated to blame me.)

Sixth level defense (boy, that was close!)--
Crisis: the wag-the-dog-tail distraction.
Any crisis will do; doesn't need to be real;
just scary, terrifying whether true or false.
(See forgotten movie of so recent vintage.)

Seventh level defense (Ha! I win!)--
Coup:  use only in last ditch emergency.
Commanders-in-chief call out army,
to preserve, protect, defend nation,
for les etats c'est moi, you fools.
(Kissinger: Nixon thought about this one,
but thought counter-revolution would win,
with worse results for him and cronies:
I mean -- a trial for treason itself,
where treason is a capital crime.)