[Newspoetry] Taking Leave of Your Senses.

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Wed Mar 29 15:28:11 CST 2006

That's what she wrote me, in a plain text message.

"Have you taken leave of your senses?  Are you mad, or daft?"

ACTUALLY, she didn't pose that last statement hypothetically, as a question.

She said, barely, but not nakedly,

Though I can recall her image enigmatically undressed:

"You are mad!  Get some help.  See a psychiatrist."

Well, that's what she said, concluding thusly,

"Leave people alone..  leave me alone."

(Oh, Moses said it like this: "Let my people go!"

And he may have meant let them be alone,

To be as they should be, but he never said

"Let me be alone" for God told him:

"Go to my people and tell them I AM sent you,

To let them know they are never to be left alone.")

Ah, my darling, I have taken leave of my senses.

I have done so gladly, for what is there to sense?

A world that the body inhabits, a world of flesh?

Yes, that's all that is there, says Wittgenstein.

He omits, in this Humean fallacy, the mind,

The spirit of man, ever yearning for more,

Something more than material pleasures deny us,

Drowning us in the senses and their sensuality.

To be in love is to be mad,

To take leave of one's senses,

To be passionate about another,

To be passionate about one's self,

To be passionate about life itself.

Passion has spiritual sense, a nonsense, to it --

Even though it has its fleshly embodiments,

Even though it finds expressions in the flesh,

In the very body of touching experience.

We touch our existence, by experience,

But we do not know our existence, itself,

The thing in itself remains ever elusive,

No matter how we touch it, tentatively,

We cannot get it in our grip, grippingly,

By mere sensuality, by mere tactility.

We have to take leave of our senses,

Ever be taking leave of our senses,

To keep from living a senseless life.