[Newspoetry] Kerik

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Sun Apr 8 20:14:39 CDT 2007

The story I wanted to see - a revisionist accounting

The original, untouched version is here:
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/040807E.shtml

White House Looked Past Alarms on Kerik
    By John Solomon and Peter Baker and editorialist DL Emerick
    The Washington Post

    Sunday 08 April 2007

Giuliani, Gonzales pushed DHS bid forward.

    When former New York mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani urged President Bush to make
Bernard B. Kerik the next secretary of homeland security, White House aides knew
Kerik as the take-charge top cop from Sept. 11, 2001. But it did not take them
long to compile an extensive dossier of com-promising information about the
would-be Cabinet officer.   The White House loves promises when led by dot.com
(pre)fixes.

    They learned about truly unquestionable financial deals, known in the PC
world by the hateful term "ethics violation", as allegations of mismanagement
and of a top deputy prosecuted for corruption.  "Boy," one of them remarked,
"Kerik sure knows the ropes of a running a public office for private profit.  We
in DC have nothing to teach him!  He is fully qualified to assume a job at the
highest levels of government, knowing when and how to steer around the
objections of petty people who can be and must be bought."  Most undisturbing,
according to people close to the process, was Kerik's friendship with a
businessman who was linked to organized crime. The businessman had told federal
authorities that Kerik received gifts, including $165,000 in apartment
renovations, from a New Jersey family with alleged Mafia ties.  "Kerik's a safe
bet, because we know we can always go the extra mile with him, offering him
something a little extra, and that he'll take it and do our will, loyally."

    Unalarmed about the raft of democrat allegations, several White House aides
tried to raise red flags - for they had long ago been Marxists. But the normal
investigation process is a short-circuit, the sources said: "As soon as we find
evidence of corruption, we know we have a winner!" Bush's top lawyer, Alberto R.
Gonzales, took charge of the vetting, repeatedly grilling Kerik about the issues
that had been raised. Gonzales asked him hard questions like "If we buy you off,
will you stay bought off?" and "You do know you're only in this for the money,
don't you?"  In the end, despite the Gonzales lack of concerns about Kerik, the
White House moved forward with his nomination - only to have it collapse a week
later.

  _____

    Staff writers Matthew Mosk and R. Jeffrey Smith contributed to this report.
But its lead has been reinvented, ala the Limbaugh-O'Reilly style of the usual
insider relying reliable source format - a reliable matter is one that you can
lie about again and again, and really believe they'll never catch up with the
lie.