[Newspoetry] Why America Fights

DL Emerick emerick at rap.midco.net
Sun Jan 14 14:43:22 CST 2007

"Potentially catastrophic consequences of failure

demand that we do all we can to prevail in Iraq," Mr. McCain said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/14/us/politics/14elect.html

We define victory as the absence of the appearance of defeat.

We define victory as necessary by the monsters that we invent.

Catastrophe models hang out on the run-(a)way of  policy fashion shows.

They aren't at all what you'd call scenarios of pleasure,

Oh soft sheets and satin pillows, NO!

The catastrophe models are fat and ugly bitches, perhaps,

Or to be fair, they are as anti-sexually appealing as you can get in this
sex-obsessed land:

If you're a man (or a woman who lives women), they're the dame you'd never screw
-

Their skin is like bureaucratic paper, rustling truth from the heards,

their eyes are hardened lenses of cameras, recording without reacting,

their hair is wriggling and writhing, like snakes in a den of thieves,

their cheeks are gaunt, their bones hardened steel,

their noses smell, giving off an odor of foulness, sensing nothing,

their very touch itself brings a festering and painful death, of STDs.

Oh, we don't want to date Dame Catastrophe, oh no!

Surely there are some things we don't want to fuck with!

(In the spirit of Lakoff, to be rational one must dispose of the clouds of
rhetoric,

Before seeing the truth that is concealed therein.  George proposed a
counter-rhetoric;

But, surely, hyperbolic speech can be fought as well by counter hyperbolism,

When it comes to attracting people back from such verbal distractions?)