[Newspoetry] Impeaching Bush and Cheney

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Tue Jul 17 00:55:13 CDT 2007

Dear Senator,

Though I presently live in Wisconsin, I was born and raised in central
Illinois, and have three times moved back there, because there is no finer
place to live than out in the cornfields and on the farms of Illinois.
Wherever I live, it will always be Illinois that seems like home to me.

I don't live in Illinois right now, although many members of my large,
extended family do, as do also a great many of my friends.

We talk about Illinois and national politics, now and then, among ourselves
and with our neighbors and friends.  I've promoted your positions and backed
your candidacy and service in office.  I've defended you when you have been
attacked and criticized unjustly, by personal arguments, as well as by
letters printed in small and local newspapers.

However, my dear Senator, your otherwise fine service to the people of
Illinois and to this great nation is somewhat remiss, in one vital way.  The
time has come for you to call upon the Representatives in the House, to urge
them to vote, immediately and without delay, for articles of impeachment
against Bush and Cheney.  Only in that way shall this serious matter be
properly referred to the Senate for debate and decision.

Impeachment, as the Constitution reminds us, is exceptionally proper - as if
commanded --whenever there shall arise grave suspicions of serious
wrong-doing, of substantial violations of our highest laws, including most
critically the grand Constitution and the solemn treaties of our nation, by
primary figures of the executive or judicial branches of government.

Grave suspicions have been plainly warranted for a long time, as any man can
infer from the common and the major newspapers and network shows of this
country and of the world.  Only an extreme partisan would dismiss, or a
willful fool ignore, such serious news stories.  Impeachment - a rational
person would think, on such abundant evidence of flagrant and grave offenses
- in this matter is far, far overdue, as a proper act of the House of
Representatives.

You are not, to be sure, a member of the House.  However, you have been
remiss in failing to urge the House, with all due gravity and speed, to
bring these obvious wrongdoings and the implicated wrongdoers, to the
attention of the United States Senate.  You are also remiss, in your public
speaking, for failing to call upon House members elsewhere in the nation to
undertake and to prosecute most swiftly long overdue indictment, this
impeachment of Bush, Cheney miscreancy.

The time is late, but there is yet time to do what is right.  However, the
very nation itself continues in grave danger every day that Bush and Cheney
and their corrupt cadre remain at large, and in charge of public offices
whose positions they daily misuse and abuse.  They remain co-conspirators
against this great Republic and its Constitution.  They flaunt their alleged
invulnerability, thinking themselves unimpeachable, because possibly not
convictable for their crimes, given the partisan composition of the Senate
as a jury.  They even plan new offenses against the Constitution, such as a
pretextual pre-emptive war against Iran.

A brave man never fears to pursue a cause that he deems to be right and just
and sensible - but cowards will ever shirk their duties, cravenly claiming
every cause to be a lost one, opining that nothing could be done, that no
progress could be made, that no better deal could be found.

I have heard you speak; I have read your speeches; I have listened to what
others have said of you, of your character, and of your convictions.  So,
now, I have only one important question remaining, of you --- believing as I
do that you, too, well know of all these wrongs done by Bush and Cheney, how
can you yet remain so utterly silent in the face of such utter, though
beguiling, constitutional evils as those that they have done?

Sincerely,
Donald L Emerick --
A person who yet believes that the people can, indeed, rule, when and only
when their representatives properly act upon the due sentiments of the
people, for the needs of the nation!