[Newspoetry] Re: poetic dictionaries

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Wed May 2 09:18:14 CDT 2007

Hey John, I forget--are you an IT person? If not, you can do this
with a free word list and the open-source tool "grep". grep is a
standard part of BSD *nix and so is available if you're on a Linux or
Mac OS X machine. In some distros of BSD *nix, there's a word list
at /usr/dict/words--if not, word lists are easy to find on the 'net.
Then, if you want to find univocalics on "a" that are longer than 5
letters, you can do it like this:

grep -vi "[eiou]" /usr/dict/words | grep "....."

(or wherever your words file is) This is imprecise because it
uniformly treats y as a consonant, but it produces useful results
anyway (I just ran it on the words from CUVOALD and learned the word
"caravansary")

http://www.regular-expressions.info/

Person