[Newspoetry] The Great American Novel Remains to be written -- I propose a quick contest.

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Fri May 16 13:11:08 CDT 2008

Tom Engelhardt | Kiss American Security Goodbye
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/051608N.shtml
Tom Engelhardt, of Tomdispatch: "When the history of this era is finally
written, based on the Tai Chi Principle, Osama bin Laden and his scattering
of followers may be credited for goading the fundamentalist leaders of the
United States into using the power in their grasp so - not to put a fine
point on it  -  stupidly and profligately as to send the planet's 'sole
superpower' into decline. Above all, bin Laden and his crew of fanatics will
have ensured one thing: that the real security problems of our age were
ignored in Washington until far too late in favor of mad dreams and dark
phantoms. In this lies a bleak but epic tale of folly worthy of a great
American novelist (wherever she is)."