[Newspoetry] Hope Springs Eternal: Stocks rise because things are so bad someone must be going to make them better.

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Fri Feb 6 14:46:09 CST 2009

STOCKS OPEN HIGHER AS WORSE-THAN-EXPECTED JOBS REPORT RAISES HOPES THAT
STIMULUS WILL PASS QUICKLY.   CNN BLURB.

I've never saved money -
Not that I haven't had some slipping through my fingers,
For even as a fool and his money are soon parted,
So, too, has my money always left me,
And all too quickly at that,
Paying down mounting debts for things I already bought,
Consuming faster than the speed of light,
Still awash in all the urgings our world inflicts,
Enticed and seduced into spending beyond my means,
An addict for and of consumption --
Only a strong and disciplined person escapes such yearnings.

If Joe Lieberman had had any sense of this,
He would have found pornography to be this advertising hype,
The binge buying, the budgets wrecked by debtor inducements.

Still, what would I have done to invest?
Put my money in stocks?
Wall Street Headlines are beyond oxymoronic --
Like shooting yourself to avoid the draft into a war where you might be
shot,
Or committing suicide while in the Army --
Some things seem better, just to endure patiently and perhaps survive,
Than to take action and end the doubt,
The agonizing mystery of marginal survival.

There is no investment so safe that it can't be lost --
It can slip through your fingers, too,
Just when you think you've got it made,
You are undone, broke, become a beggar --
If you haven't yet seen yourself living that way anyway, always.