[Peace-discuss] Re: [Prairiegreens] discussion please

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Thu Aug 8 13:59:06 CDT 2002

At 01:53 PM 08/08/2002 -0500, Robert Dunn wrote:

>I 100% agree with Lisa, I do support direct action, but from hearing
>concerns from the Greens at the IMC last night, I feel that I must address
>some issues.
>
>1. We do not even have consensus or agreement on what it should be yet.
>
>2. Some people at the Greens are uncomfortable with a direct action on the
>actual day of 9-11. Even though Susan thinks that we should not watch the
>towers being hit anymore, I say do it. Sept 11th effected us all, even the
>leftist of the left. I even questioned my own beliefs when that day happened
>and even lost a friend in one of the towers. I like what Peter said,
>Remember,(for our atheist friends) the dead and fight like hell for the living.
>
>3. We must show that we DO NOT HATE AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>We should show that we love the Grand Canyon, Puppies, etc. Thanks Eric
>Sizemore for that example. I suggest that we also show that we dont have
>contempt for the flag and that we are taking back the flag. OUR FLAG. So I
>propose that in the parade protest, we have an AMerican flag.
>
>4. We must show respect for the military personel. What I have learned from
>working with people like Joe Miller, and VVAW is that military soldiers are
>not the enemy and should not be treated as such.
>
>5.We lose the anarchist approach and start being serious about this.
>
>6.We show that we love AMERICA and we support the Constitution and will
>defend that Constitution to the death.
>
>7. Perhaps we should invite PRC/VVAW to show us how NOT to alienate people.
>Apparently the approach that some people in AWARE want to have a protest
>with no thought of the consequences of having a protest. They want it
>uncoordinated, chaotic, and undisciplined.  I do not support this what so ever.
>
>8.We SHOULD NOT HAVE THE ACTION ON 9-11. Please, any other date besides
>9-11. Thanks to the Greens for enlightening me on this.
>
>9-11 is a somber day, even progressives lost family and friends because of
>the terrorist attacks. Having a direct action/picnic seems like we are
>celebrating 9-11. BAD IMAGE!  It sends a message that AWARE only cares for
>victims of US terrorism, but not for victims of terrorism directed towards
>the US.
>
>I CONDEMN ALL TERRORISM AND DO NOT EXCUSE ANY OF ITS FORMS. Please respond
>to this.
>
>Robert

I'll respond, Robert.  This is by far the longest e-mail I've ever seen you
send, and I think it's extremely well thought out.  I agree totally with you
and Lisa.  Even though we understand where we're coming from, the public at
large is not going to.  9/11 is a tremendously emotionally-laden day here in
America, and the public (whom we're ostensibly trying to persuade) is not
going to take kindly to ANY display of frivolity or even seeming frivolity.
I'm in favor of keeping a very low profile on 9/11, other than to emphasize
the tragic loss of human life ALL OVER the world, and not simply on American
soil.

John