[Peace-discuss] Saudi jets and FBI

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:17:07 CDT 2002

Well, John, I agree.

I only wish that were the story that Michael Moore is telling.  I was almost
sorry I brought this up, because who really cares when they left, but you
are exactly right.  A lot of people seem to have been not just questioned
but detained - arguably because they "looked Arabic", or more likely because
they were "trouble-makers" involved with Amnesty International or some other
underground terrorist cell who also happen to "look Arabic" (i.e. attract
less sympathy) - while these folks seem to have been let off with a simple
teatime chat.

What this points to (again) is that the Administration cares less about who
was actually responsible for Sept. 11 than about who they can round up,
deport, bomb or (now) assassinate, using Sept. 11 as a cover.  (We never did
see that "incontrovertible proof," did we?)  I think we all know this is the
scam, but this story is a good example of US official hypocrisy that Moore
could be telling with facts.  Instead, he has created a paranoid urban myth
about how Bush is so corrupt personally that he is protecting America's
enemies, those nasty Saudis (who got to fly when the rest of "us" were
stranded in airports, etc.) - which fits neatly into his implications, and
those of others, that "Bush knew," etc.  Maybe this is not quite what he
intended.  Nevertheless, Moore emphasizes the dates every time he tells the
story, it seems, which is why I brought them up.  They are THE centerpiece
of his version.

Anyway, I do think the Congressman is right if he means we can still use the
story, with some revisions, in the above fashion (-:

We do go on about details, don't we?

Ricky

>From: John Wason <jwason at prairienet.org>
>To: "Ricky Baldwin"
><baldwinricky at hotmail.com>,peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com,prairiegreens-org at lists.groogroo.com
>Subject: Re: [Prairiegreens-org] Re: [Peace-discuss] Saudi jet story  false
>Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:59:13 -0500
>
>At 09:26 PM 08/18/02 -0400, Ricky Baldwin wrote:
>
> >On Sept. 11, Transportation Sec. Norman Y. Mineta ordered all commercial
> >flights grounded until noon Thurs. Sept. 13, except for those already on
>the
> >runway at the time.  Some airports and airlines apparently did not resume
> >"service" immediately at noon, or even until Friday Sept. 14, because of
> >"new security measures" or other things.  That's according to press
>reports
> >I found.
> >
> >I do not know exactly when international flights resumed.  However, the
> >article Michael Moore cited, as well as the ones you brought to our
> >attention, report that the Saudis left town after international flights
>were
> >allowed.  Maybe that isn't so, or maybe it is.  I don't know.  All I know
>is
> >so far we haven't seen any evidence that the Saudis were allowed to fly
>when
> >no one else was.  And I believe in such cases the burden of proof is on
>the
> >one making the allegation, not the one who disputes the evidence
>presented
> >(technically).  We can wonder, we can speculate - about any number of
>things
> >we don't know - but I checked Moore's source, and read your postings.
>Nada.
> >  Is there more on this that I don't see?  Am I just being difficult -
> >again?
>
>I may be missing something too, but to me the significant issue isn't
>precisely the time at which the bin Laden gang was allowed to leave the
>country relative to when everyone else was allowed to leave.  To me the
>critical question is how much, if at all, the bin Ladens were questioned
>about their knowledge of the whereabouts of Osama, and about their
>involvement in "terrorism".  It's my understanding that plenty of other
>Arab-looking or Arab-sounding people with far more tenuous ties to bin
>Laden were questioned at some length.  And no, I can't cite sources.  :)
>
>John

“It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes. - Peter Kropotkin