[Peace-discuss] journalist run over by tank driver in u.s. tank

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sun Dec 22 16:35:20 CST 2002

Fundamental law of driving any tank is to maintain complete ground guide
control before, during, and after movement. Anyway that is what I learned
when I was licensed by the U.S. Army to drive Abrams Tanks and Bradley
Fighting vehicles. You must just watch where you are going. But today's
incident like the one at Fort Polk, LA where two U.S. soldiers were run over
about a month and 1/2 ago, and in Korea where two girls were run over and
killed, launching protests, illustrates the safety ongoing violations.

French journalist killed by US tank

Bourrat reporting from Afghanistan last year

One of the best-known television journalists in France, Patrick Bourrat, has
died in hospital in Kuwait.
He was injured on Saturday after being run over by a tank while covering US
military exercises in the desert.

 Courageous, experienced, he made the ultimate sacrifice for the mission to
inform

Jacques Chirac
French President

Mr Bourrat, who was in his 40s, was a correspondent for the TF-1 television
station.

American military officials say the precise circumstances of the accident are
being investigated.

French President Jacques Chirac has led tributes to Mr Bourrat - a veteran
reporter who covered conflicts from Lebanon and Afghanistan to East Timor and
Kosovo.

Thrown into the air

More than 12,000 American troops are in Kuwait.

Many of them taking part in live-fire training exercises.

Mr Bourrat was thrown about five metres into the air after getting into the
path of an oncoming tank as he pushed away a TF-1 cameraman.

He suffered extensive damage to his organs - "his spleen was ruptured and one
kidney, although still working, was half cut," a French embassy spokesman
said.

He was operated on but died on Sunday morning, after developing
post-operative bleeding.

US Major Denton Knapp told the AFP news agency: "We did everything we could
to keep him safe. The guy made a mistake and it was a tragic one."

He said the US army might review the freedom given to journalists to cover
the exercises.

President Chirac said Mr Bourrat was "one of the most talented journalists, a
shining example for his profession".

"Courageous, experienced, he made the ultimate sacrifice for the mission to
inform," Mr Chirac said in a letter of condolences to TF-1 management.