[Peace-discuss] Invitation for AWARE to co-sponsor Kathy Kelly Event

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Wed Jan 16 10:02:42 CST 2002

Hello all , this is Meridith Kruse.  Just recently, I became director of the
Illinois Disciples Foundation on the UIUC campus.  It is on behalf of the
Progressive Resource Action/Cooperative, a program of the IDF, that I write
to you today.  On February 12, 2002 the PRC will be sponsoring a talk by
Kathy Kelly of Voices in the Wilderness at 7:30 PM in Wisegarver Hall at the
Illinois Disciples Foundation (610 E. Springfield).

For those who do not know, Kathy Kelly helped initiate Voices in the
Wilderness, a campaign to end the US/UN sanctions against Iraq, in 1996.
Since that time, Voices has organized thirty-nine delegations to Iraq and
Kathy has been to Iraq fourteen times.  During the first two weeks of the
Gulf War, Kathy was part of a peace encampment on the Iraq-Saudi border and
in 1988 she was sentenced to one year in prison for planting corn on nuclear
missile silo sites (she served nine months).  Kathy has recently
participated in the “Breaking Ranks” forty-day fast in NYC, calling for
dialogue that would bring about an end to the sanctions.  Kathy was part of
the recent “Walk for Healing and Peace” from Washington DC to NYC amplifying
the message of nonviolence in the wake of Sept. 11th.  Kathy is Iraq until
mid-January of 2002, after which she will begin a speaking tour.  I have
included a more complete biography as an attachment to this email if you
would like more information.

Specifically, the PRC is looking for groups who are interested in
co-sponsoring this event.   To be a co-sponsor we ask you help to publicize
this event (flyers will be provided) and monetary donations (around $25),
while not required, are encouraged.  In return, co-sponsoring groups will be
mentioned on PRC flyers publicizing the event and announced prior to Kathy’s
talk on February 12th.  Co-sponsors will also be invited to a dinner with
Kathy Kelly at the IDF prior to her evening talk.

Unfortunately, I will be unable to attend the next AWARE meeting, but was
wondering if someone could mention this invitation for AWARE to co-sponor
the event and after group discussion respond back to me by email/phone.

Overall this should be a great event - thanks for considering this!
Meridith