[Peace-discuss] health and safety action

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 08:43:37 CDT 2002

Friends,
A Washington judge just upheld that state's ergonomics standard against a
high-end business legal assault.  Only a handful of states have even
attempted such legislation, though.  So a national standard is still
desperately needed.  Apologies for cross-postings.

Ricky

Senate HELP Committee Passes Ergo Bill (S. 2184)

Moving one step closer to protecting workers from ergonomic hazards, on June
19, the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP)
voted 11-10, along party lines for the Breaux-Specter bill that requires the
Labor Department to issue an ergonomics regulation within 2 years. True to
form, the Administration opposes the bill and any regulatory efforts to
protect workers from ergonomic hazards. S. 2184 is likely to come to the
Senate floor in September, following the August Congressional recess.
Click on the link below to fax your Senators and urge them to support S.
2184 when it comes to the Senate floor. Tell them to support protection from
ergonomic injuries-like carpal tunnel syndrome and back injuries-the biggest
job safety problem in America, by supporting this legislation.
http://www.unionvoice.org/ct/3dqgaOs1a1zD/ Click on the link below for more
information on the Breaux-Specter ergonomics bill (S. 2184).
http://www.aflcio.org/safety/Breaux-Specter.PDF

Click on the link below for the AFL-CIO's press release on the committee's
action. http://www.aflcio.org/publ/press2002/pr0619a.htm

------------------------

  "Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double edged
sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
  And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils
with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing
the rights of the citizenry.
  Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will
offer up all of their rights unto their leader and gladly so. How do I know?
For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."  -Julius Caesar