[Peace-discuss] Speakers working group

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 27 09:39:23 CDT 2002

I like the idea of placing ourselves "nearby" even if protest signs are not
welcome as part of the labyrinth.  Maybe this bears some thinking about?

Ricky

>From: Alfred Kagan <akagan at uiuc.edu>
>To: vicki52 at eudoramail.com, Peace-discuss at lists.groogroo.com
>Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Speakers working group
>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 09:08:29 -0500
>
>Vicky, I am forwarding to Peace-discuss.
>

>>--Hi Al,
>>The Baker Board is willing to put AWARE speakers on their Community
>>Calendar of events occurring on 9/11 even if the event will occur
>>after 9/11 , or before...It will be widely publicized (radio, tv,
>>newspapers, etc).  Also, on 9/11, the labyrinths on campus are the
>>only "community-wide" event that they know of, and is their purpose.
>>So maybe AWARE would like to take advantage of the draw of people to
>>place people with protest signs, etc. nearby... .
>>
>>I just thought you might want to know.  Also, I will forward you
>>emails I received from David Thiel and Dan Simeone.
>>
>>vicki
>>On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 22:46:42   Al Kagan wrote:
>>>AWARE Speaker Events Working Group, Minutes July 21, 2002
>>>
>>>Attending: Jay Mittenthal (384-6468, mitten at life.uiuc.edu), Jeff
>>>Glassman (344-2903, lfay at prairienet.org), Carol Inskeep (344-9155,
>>>inskeep at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu), Marina Manetti (344-3646,
>>>marina at go.com), David Green (356-2034, davegreen48 at yahoo.com), Miriam
>>>Larson (328-6648, mimilar at yahoo.com), Al Kagan (351-9035,
>>>akagan at uiuc.edu), Meridith Kruse (344-3592, bmmk at soltec.net)
>>>
>>>Carol facilitated the meeting.
>>>
>>>Possible speakers are someone from Families for a Peaceful Tomorrow,
>>>Ahmed Bensouda, and maybe a third person like Francis Boyle or
>>>someone from the Palestine divestment campaign.  There could be a
>>>daytime panel, 11 AM - 2 PM and an evening talk.  The daytime event
>>>could include break-up in small discussion groups and art and
>>>revolution group.  The speaker from the Families group should include
>>>Afghanistan trip discussion and possibly photo exhibit. We might also
>>>get a well-known musician to volunteer to perform.
>>>
>>>Carol will check on possible dates for Families group speaker.  After
>>>we get a specific date and time, Al will contact Ahmed.
>>>
>>>Appropriate venues include Wesley Foundation, IDF, McKinley
>>>Foundation.  Meridith will check availability and costs.
>>>
>>>Best dates are weekend of Sept. 7/8 or 14/15.
>>>
>>>Minutes by Al Kagan.
>>>--
>>>

>>>Al Kagan
>>>African Studies Bibliographer and Professor of Library Administration
>>>Africana Unit, Room 328
>>>University of Illinois Library
>>>1408 W. Gregory Drive
>>>Urbana, IL 61801, USA
>>>
>>>tel. 217-333-6519
>>>fax. 217-333-2214
>>>e-mail. akagan at uiuc.edu
>>

>>Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora
>>Web-Mail account at http://www.eudoramail.com
>

>--
>

>Al Kagan
>African Studies Bibliographer and Professor of Library Administration
> [...]

------------------------

  "Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the
citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double edged
sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind.
  And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils
with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing
the rights of the citizenry.
  Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will
offer up all of their rights unto their leader and gladly so. How do I know?
For this is what I have done. And I am Caesar."  -Julius Caesar