[Peace-discuss] Re: solution to a non-problem (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Jun 8 20:42:21 CDT 2002

Jim--

Thomas Pynchon's wonderful novel, Gravity's Rainbow -- unfortunately as
apropos now as when it appeared thirty years ago -- contains his "Proverbs
for Paranoids," and #3 is, "If they can get you asking the wrong
questions, they don't have to worry about answers."

I think questions of the form, "What did the president (VP/FBI/CIA/SPCA,
etc.) know, and when did he(it) know it?" fall afoul of Pynchon's rule.
First, because there's little chance that the ruling group in the US knew
about the place and nature of the attacks before 9/11, so most of these
questions are a matter of administrative blame-shifting.

Second, and more important, I know that if I wanted to protect from public
scrutiny the long-term goals and policies of the US in the Middle East,
I'd much rather have press and populace talking about the who-knew-what
questions than about the reasons that the 9/11 attacks occurred.

The supposed perpetrators have been pretty clear about what prompted those
attacks -- (a) American occupation and support for repressive governments
in the Holy Land, (b) the near-genocide of a generation of Iraqis, and (c)
the brutal suppression of the Palestinians for more than a generation.
And on these points, if not on their chosen tactics, many people in the
Middle East and elsewhere agree with them.

Now it seems to me that if we in the US want to stop terrorism, there are
two paramount questions to ask; (1) how do we stop our government from
practicing it? and (2) how do we alter the US policies that lead other
people to undertake it?

It's not to the long-term interests of the American government to ask those
questions -- but those interests can stand an investigation of, say, Bush
family business contacts with the Saudis.  The Proverb for Paranoids kicks
in.

Regards, Carl