[Peace-discuss] Re: [Foa] secret evidence and secret proceedings

WILLIAM LAFI YOUMANS wyoumans at umich.edu
Sat Jun 15 12:29:32 CDT 2002

Just a correction, it is the LA 8, not the LA 7. Michel Shihadeh, the west
coast director of ADC, was one of them. Also, the ADC director of the
Midwest, Imad Hamad, was the victim of secret evidence proceedings. They
are two people to get in touch with. The spokespeople should decide that
I guess, since they should be in charge of strategizing. I know both of
them and will contact them to see what they can do, if people agree to
that.

What happens in these cases often is that the detainee stays in the
removal process for between 2 to 3 years, because there is no recourse
during. Only after a certain legal point could there be a way out.

Then, the detainee puts in an application for a writ of habeas corpus,
which basically says that the detainee is being wrongfully detained. At
that point the judge demands the secret evidence be presented to the
"respondent" (the immighration law term for the detainee). In most of the
previous cases, the evidence has been based on political work or on
questionable testimony by ex-wives. Some were even held on newspaper
clippings of banquets. This has been ruled unconstitutional every time.
The problem is that it is at the district court level, so the decision
does not affect the legislation. It would have to have been appealed to
the Supreme court by the government for the possibility of a law-changing
ruling. The good news is that the district courts will see that there is a
lot of precendence for BS detentions...and all of them were premised on
minor visa violations, not traditionally enough for detention or
deportation.

That was before Sep 11.

The process may be expedited since September 11, but I do not know for
sure. There is too much secrecy for the public to know, though I am sure
people close to the cases can tell you.

The existence of a campaign will not necessarily help speed things
or bring out a favorable outcome because there were high-profile campaigns
for Hany Kialardeen and Mazen Al-Najjar. They had Tom Cambell, a
congressman from California at the time, and now a law professor at
Stanford, as well as David Cole, a law professor at Georgetown, plus
congresspeople Cynthia McKinney, John Conyers, and David Bonior.
Other important players are Greg Nojeim of the ACLU, Jennifer Bailey
of Human Rights Watch, Houaida Saad an attorney from Detroit (or DC)
(These people should be contacted as well.)

To get a good view of how a secret evidence case looked before september
11, check out Hazim Bitar's video, "Uncivil Liberties: Secret Trials in
America." (the director's site is http://www.alif.com/)