[Peace-discuss] More on reckless truck driver

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 11 09:22:06 CST 2002

I followed up with a phone call to Officer Standifer this morning.  The
hearing for the citation for reckless driving will take place in traffic
court on December 19th. The state's attorney is involved.  The charge is a
Class A misdemeanor which carries a maximum penalty of one year in jail and
a 2-year driver's license suspension.

The officer said that traffic court is small and 15-20 cases are heard at
once. When I asked if the state's attorney needed witnesses he discouraged
too many people from showing up but said that Grace is an important witness.
Grace had her back to the traffic when the truck came up onto the sidewalk
and could have likely been hit had her husband not pushed her out of the
way. Her name is listed in the police report and she and her husband talked
to the officer that day (Sorry, Grace, for this mass email.  I don't have
your private email and I wanted to make sure that you knew. Would you please
email me back privately?).

When I asked the officer how he found the driver of the truck, who lives in
Rantoul, he told me that on Saturday he was investigating another traffic
accident on N. Prospect and on his way back to the office he passed our
demonstration, turned right on Marketview and saw the truck shortly
thereafter.  He pulled the truck over and the owner's wife was driving.  She
told the officers where her husband works and they went to his place of
employment, spoke to him, and cited him.

I asked the officer to provide me with more details about the hearing when
he knows them. He needs to talk to the state's attorney first and then said
he would call me back. I'll follow-up in early December if he doesn't call
before then.  Can someone make sure that Grace gets this message?

Kimberlie