[Peace-discuss] "Report" from Olean

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 27 09:08:27 CST 2002

Hi all,

To "report" -- peace work is "breaking out all over" including here in the
snowy Southern Tier of New York.

Inspired by AWARE, I circulated a "proposal" for a peace coalition a few
weeks ago, sending it to anyone I could think of in the area and a beyond.
 There is one discussion email list, and a lovely peace-oriented Catholic
college near here.  Members of that community stepped forward, along with
other folks I didn't realize were thinking of this, and I got calls and
community here yet.  We had our first meeting/discussion a week ago last
Monday, with about 20 people, with lots of energy.  Interest was best for a
modified "teach-in" consisting of three consecutive evenings, a format that
has worked well over here in the past; also for the mutual aid pact; and
for visible demonstrations-- I mentioned AWARE's North Prospect activities,
and its growth and visibility.   We talked about media (I sure miss the
IMC) and reaching out to the broad community.  The people at the college
had talked in the past about reaching out to the community in the past-- no
one had gotten to it.  They do  hold lectures  and  events, so there is
support.  A lot of religious people are interested, of many faiths, and we'
are talking with labor-related people as well.

I shamelessly "lifted" the AWARE title "Freedom To Question" for a teach-in
or discussion.   Of course I mentioned it came from AWARE.   AWARE may be
becoming a "household word" here.  It's so important to provide a safe
space or discussion opportunity for people who aren't sure how they feel,
or feel disempowered, and we need a space to brainstorm as well.

I would like to see a  movement here to have the city adopt a "Bill of
Rights Defense" stance, stanidng up to the erosion of civil liberties.

So-- it looks like our group will be happening.  As for name-- not there
yet.  I thought up "Southern Tier Embracing Peace" (STEP) and a group in
the surrounding area  would like to use it-- some folks  here still favor
Southern Tier Peace Whatever, but in any event, it looks like it is happening!

And-- I've gotten calls/communications from people in Binghamton, Elmira
and the Finger Lakes Area, -plus there is a Greens coalition forming over
the same area -- it looks like we may have a nice "umbrella" network as
well.

it wasn't just me that did this---- it's AWARE that sparked this expansion.
 It has been the experience of working with AWARE, and seeing the wonderful
growth of AWARE,  that made it possible to carry this forward and help let
people know they have the power to THINK and DO SOMETHING.

Love and thanks to you all,
Barbara Dyskant