[Peace-discuss] Registration and absentee ballot deadlines (fwd)

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Wed Oct 2 18:24:20 CDT 2002

Good reminder, Paul. Voter registration ends next Tuesday, Oct. 8, in
Illinois. An important reminder: If you moved since you last registered,
you ain't registered! And if you live in the Chambana area, you really
ought to register here - nobody _really_ travels back to their hometown
just to vote, and darned few actually vote absentee back home.

The Champaign County Clerk's website has a very useful feature that lets
residents of the county check their voter registration status online. You
supply your first and last name, birthdate and last 4 digits of social
security, and the site checks that information against a database and
displays the result. It's at
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/registrationstatus.asp .

If you're near campus, there's a computer kiosk in the Illini Union
Building that lets you register to vote automatically. This is the
equivalent of a motor-voter form - not quite the same as registering
directly with the county clerk or a deputy registrar, since you'll have to
verify your identity with photo ID at the polling place on election day
(i.e., you can't use this registration method if you plan to vote
absentee). Greens and others are also out registering folks on the Quad all
this week, and the County Clerk's office (at 1776 E. Washington, way east
in Urbana) has Saturday hours this week.

Also note that the web-based motor voter forms mentioned in the MoveOn
email are not valid in Illinois - though they work in just about every
other state. Just another of the many ways the political hacks in Chicago
and Springfield make it harder to vote for a candidate of your choice than
it really oughta be.

peace,
jb
www.carlforcongress.org