[Peace-discuss] Fwd:[ANSWER]: New York Times does about-face on Oct (2 of 2

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Oct 30 21:02:02 CST 2002

She is planning a rally for Nov. 16 in her city.

In Houston, Lois Wright, a 46-year-old saleswoman in a
drapery workroom, said she felt compelled to take the
two-day bus ride to Washington, because the Bush
administration seemed "hellbent on going to war."

"It's O.K. to do stuff in Houston, but nobody gets to hear  about it," she said. "I felt if we were right in their
faces, they couldn't ignore us."

Polls show that about 50 percent of Americans support  sending ground troops to Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein  from power. Antiwar organizers acknowledge some public  support for military action, but said that until now, the
voices of those who do not support the policy have not
been heard.

"I think the president has considerable support," Mr.
Zmolek said, "but I think the nation is pretty divided on
this."

Certainly, there is still debate. In Austin, the
University of Texas student government passed a resolution  on Oct. 22 opposing an attack, by a vote of 20 to 17. Some  students seek to have that vote overturned, saying it does  not reflect the sentiment of the campus's 50,000 students.

--------------------------

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
dc at internationalanswer.org
New York 212-633-6646
Washington 202-332-5757
Chicago 773-878-0166
Los Angeles 213-487-2368
San Francisco 415-821-6545

Sign up to receive updates (low volume):
http://www.internationalanswer.org/subscribelist.html

Send replies to answer at action-mail.org

This is the ANSWER activist announcement
list. Anyone can subscribe by sending
any message to <answer.general-subscribe at action-mail.org> To unsubscribe <answer.general-off at action-mail.org>