[Peace-discuss] England

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Thu Oct 31 07:52:10 CST 2002

Date:   10/31/02 6:05:32 AM Central Standard Time
From:   Zoe_Edmonds at new.labour.org.uk
To: Dlind49 at aol.com

Thank you for your e-mail. Due to the volume of communications we receive
it is not possible to reply to each one in detail. However, we would like
to assure you that we take all comments extremely seriously and that they
are recorded and passed on to the appropriate department.

Iraq's relations with the international community are governed by various
United Nations Security Council resolutions imposed on Iraq after its 1990
invasion of Kuwait. For more than a decade, Saddam Hussein has been in
flagrant breach of nine UN Security Council resolutions by failing to
disarm and cease his development of weapons of mass destruction. He has
consistently flouted international law by continuing to maintain his
chemical and biological weapons programmes and developing ballistic
missiles capable of delivering these weapons to targets beyond the 150km
limit imposed by the UN.

Saddam Hussein is unique amongst world dictators in that he has used
chemical weapons against his own people and neighbours. They were used
against the Iraqi Kurds in the city of Halabja in 1988 and against Iran in
the 1981-1988 war. The regime has an appalling human rights record, which
includes the torture, rape and murder of innocent civilians, political
dissidents and ethnic minorities.

We believe that the threat Saddam Hussein poses to regional and global
security arising from his development of weapons of mass destruction is an
issue for the whole of the international community, and that it is right to
deal with this through the United Nations.

The Government is working at the United Nations for a new UN resolution to
ensure that this weapons inspection and monitoring regime is different,
tougher and more effective than the last. The Labour Party endorsed this
approach at its annual conference in October.

We believe that it is right for the international community as a whole to
act, if necessary by force, if Saddam fails to comply with the clear
demands of the international community.

We understand the concerns within the Party and the rest of the country
about the possibility of military action in Iraq, which as the Prime
Minister made clear, should only ever be a last resort. No decisions have
been taken on military action in Iraq.

Just as in Kosovo and Afghanistan, the Prime Minister has said that the
Government will work in a careful and considered way. But the principles of
international law can only be credible if they are enforced, and failure to
do so will only undermine the authority of the UN itself. The choice lies
with Saddam Hussein.

The UK is also trying to improve the humanitarian situation in Iraq.  In
November 2001, the UK played a leading role in securing agreement in the
United Nations Security Council on resolution 1382, which introduced
targeted controls on imports of military goods and weapons of mass
destruction and lifted blanket sanctions. Aside from our role at the UN, UK
aid to Iraq continues both bilaterally and through the EU.  Since the Gulf
War, British assistance has amounted to more than £100 million, making us
one of the largest donors.

It is clear that inaction is not an option where Saddam Hussein is
concerned. We cannot ignore the continuing threat Saddam Hussein poses to
regional and world security. To allow Saddam Hussein to use the weapons he
has, or get the weapons he wants, would be an act of gross irresponsibility
that the international community cannot allow.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us to let us know your views on
this important matter.

Yours ever

David Triesman
General Secretary, The Labour Party

Labour - the work goes on

Sign up to Labour's free eNews service and be the first to hear
developments directly from the Labour Party.  Sign up at www.labour.org.uk