[Peace-discuss] "what we don't want them to learn"

rosemary braun braun at uiuc.edu
Wed Sep 25 14:52:02 CDT 2002

This is... interesting.  Two articles, over the course of about a week,
in the Chron. Higher Ed.:
  http://chronicle.com/daily/2002/09/2002091603n.htm
  http://chronicle.com/daily/2002/09/2002092501n.htm
(access from uiuc: http://www.library.uiuc.edu/ersearch/details.asp?rid=1079)

The first reports that "higher education in Arab countries remains
seriously inadequate," while the second reports, "the tracking system
that the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service has created to
monitor international students should be expanded to include foreigners
on nonstudent visas who are taking courses part-time," and continues to
quote, "'So the concern is that [foreigners] could come here and learn
what we don't want them to learn,' said Rep. Peter Hoekstra [R-Mich.]"

Anybody feel like speculating on what creating countries of educational
have and have-nots will do for global stability?

(It seems to me that if one is a citizen of a country without sufficient
medical knowledge to treat its citizens, without sufficient innovation
to keep its workers safe on the job, without sufficient technology to
remain connected to people in other countries, without the political
discourse necessary for democratic decisions, and without the means --
the knowledge -- to begin to change those deficiencies... well, it's
not so hard to see how one might begin to feel blind resentment toward
the more fortunate citizens of other lands.)

--
rosemary braun  :: theoretical biophysics, univ. illinois ::  braun at uiuc.edu
vocation www.ks.uiuc.edu/~braun :: avocation www.ks.uiuc.edu/~braun/personal