[Peace-discuss] the plot sickens

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 14:30:57 CST 2003

Brooke is right.  We tried to make some points to
Channel 3 (e.g. this war has more serious consequences
than a little vandalism) but they chose not to use
that.  It's worth remembering, when speaking to the
press, that you just can't say anything except what
YOU want them to use.  I have a bad habit of "leading
into" what I want to say, and they invariably take
that intro and cut the rest (e.g. It's disturbing that
people will do this kind of thing, and...).  Lisa, I
believe, did a good job of saying what she meant, and
the reporter just asked her the same question over and
over until they got what they wanted.  Then they just
left out the list of serious incidents they asked me
for.

I think the Ch. 3 story at 6pm was okay in the end,
and even the DI story was okay.  At least it mentioned
the antiwar signs, and showed we are human beings,
etc.  And I think it's worth keeping track of this for
a little while and pursuing a follow-up story - just
to get the antiwar message mentioned once more.  But
we should never let this distract us from our purpose.

Ricky