[Peace-discuss] War Tax Party / Workshop

paul michael king pmking at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 11 14:27:30 CDT 2003

[Sorry if this is posted twice! It was rejected the first time for some
cryptic reason and required moderator approval. Given the time
sensitivity of the event, I'm posting it again.]

War Tax Party / Workshop
*****************
Where: Kickapoo Landing
When: Tonight @ 7:00

"Let them march all they want, as long as they continue to pay their
taxes." -- General Alexander Haig, U.S. Secretary of State, 1982

Folks, this coming Tuesday each of us is required to pay our taxes. Half
of this money will be used by the government to fund war. Does this enrage
you? Are you tired of protesting and writing letters while your money is
used to fund the activities you want to stop? Would it not be better to
give some of this money to groups that work for peace and justice?even
just a tiny amount?

A Tax Filing Party is scheduled for tonight, 7:00 at Kickapoo Landing, a
restaurant and campground in Kickapoo Park. War Tax Resistance is a
time-honored strategy of withholding taxes in protest of war. Tactics
range from the fairly risk-free practice of withholding a monthly 3% phone
tax that goes towards war, claiming a "war tax" refund or reducing taxable
income. Other forms of protest involve withholding a portion of income
taxes or refusing to file altogether. We will be sending letters to
representatives to co-sponsor the Religious Freedom Peace Fund Tax Bill (#
H.R. 1186) as well. You do not need to be committed to war tax resistance
to attend. This is an informal study group that wishes to begin looking at
the possibilities and risks involved with this very powerful act of civil
disobedience. The Tax Filing Party is sponsored by AWARE (Anti-War,
Anti-Racism Effort), a group of local activists working against the
growing militarization of American society. For more information, call
Tracy at 253-3078 or email pmking at uiuc.edu or visit
http://www.anti-war.net/wtr_website/ and click on "Events".

..::Paul
Graduate Student
Library & Information Science
Champaign-Urbana, IL

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought under the name
of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?"
(Gandhi)