[Peace-discuss] Another meeting with TJ?

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Sun Apr 13 16:45:19 CDT 2003

I'd like to suggest that any such meeting also include lobbying TJ against
support for Israel's worsening occupation of the West Bank and Gaza. In the
Palestinian Truth Tour event at Channing-Murray this afternoon, there was
mention of a House Concurrent Resolution 111, which expresses sympathy for
Illinois Solidarity Movement activist Rachel Corrie's death, calls for an
investigation into the circumstances, and encourages efforts to ensure
"that an incident of this kind never occurs again" - already outdated,
sadly, with the Israeli military's shootings of two other foreign ISM
activists in the past couple of weeks. TJ isn't on the House Committee on
International Relations, to which the resolution has been referred, but
it's chaired by Henry Hyde, the silver-maned godfather to all Illinois
Republicans. (More info on the resolution is at
http://www.electronicintifada.net/v2/article1313.shtml .)

Also, a reminder that AWARE and ISM are hosting a fundraiser-funraiser at
the Indy Media Center from 6 to 9 pm tonight. Among the musical guests
should be LA hip-hop artist Iron Sheikh, who's appearing in conjunction
with the Truth Tour.

peace,
Jim