[Peace-discuss] Another Letter to editor

Morton K.Brussel brussel at staff.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 14 17:48:09 CDT 2003

I've also sent 250 words to the N-G: It follows.

Invective against war protestors laces recent letters to the N-G, but
no words address why protesters protest, or, indeed, the discredited
reasons for the Iraq vendetta.

The main justification of these letter writers (and Bush script
writers!) for the Iraq aggression is that Saddam H. has been a beast,
and we had to slay him to free his subjects. But what about other
beasts the U.S. government has countenanced— the Shah of Iran, Suharto
of Indonesia, Marcos of the Philippines, Mobuto of Zaire, Pinochet of
Chile, Sharon of Israel, …?  Why have we turned on this particular
beast, whom we’ve coddled in the past when he was equally beastly.

These apologist writers avoid consideration of the innocent men, women
and children mutilated and massacred while stalking the beast. Have
they been liberated? What have they done to us? How many has it been
worth slaughtering to eliminate one particular beast—moreover still on
the loose. Are we now more free and secure; where is the evidence of
frightful Iraqi weapons and connections to 9/11 so cynically used to
frighten the public.

What an ideal opponent we’ve chosen; weak, strategic, oil-rich, and
ruled by a beast. The Bush warriors are usurping our moral and physical
resources to march backwards to the law of the jungle. They need to be
stopped, and our troops need to stop being used as lethal pawns.

Our people are sorely deceived by fears and anxieties induced by a
scheming administration and a fawning media.

Oh the horror!

Mort Brussel
Preferred email: brussel at uiuc.edu

Morton K. Brussel