[Peace-discuss] DI article

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Thu Apr 17 15:23:37 CDT 2003

Archives |Contacts

Thursday, April 17, 2003 >News > News Story

Anti-war activists claim harrassment

Jen Mullholand
The Daily Illini

Stolen yard signs were just the beginning of the vandalism that
members of the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort organization have
experienced in the past month, members said.

AWARE member Ricky Baldwin said members of the group have been the
victims of pranks ranging from stolen signs to spray-painted hate
graffiti and property destruction since the beginning of the war in
Iraq. An unknown offender sprayed Baldwin's car with insulating foam
around the driver's side door and the hood while it was parked in the
driveway of his Champaign home, he said.

"This is a whole new thing," Baldwin said of the vandalism.

Baldwin had an anti-war bumper sticker on his car that he believed
prompted the vandalism.

"They are targeting people with anti-war signs," he said.

AWARE member and Urbana resident Joan Nelshoppen had a 3-foot tall
white wooden dove stolen from the front yard of her home on Oregon
Street. She said the dove originally said "NO IRAQ WAR," but her
family changed the message to "END IRAQ WAR" once the conflict
started on March 20. The dove was vandalized on three separate
occasions by unknown persons before it was stolen on April 5,
Nelshoppen said.

"It was really beautiful," Nelshoppen said of the dove, which was
originally built for an American bicentennial parade in 1976.

"This is nothing compared with what the people of Iraq are
suffering," she said. "I really strongly believe in peace."

Baldwin said vandalism has increased since the war started. AWARE
members were instructed by local police to report any vandalism,
Baldwin said.

"This is happening in clusters," Baldwin said. "The people who are
doing it, they are obviously not brave people because they wouldn't
be doing it at night."

Urbana police Sgt. Sylvia Griffet said that the number of incidents
reported was small.

"We really haven't had much of a problem," Griffet said.

Mark Thompson attended a pro-America rally and said he couldn't
believe incidents in connection with the war protesters were still
happening.

"In this world we live in today, (the vandalism) doesn't surprise me
a bit," Thompson said.

AWARE member Lisa Chason said there was a series of dead animals
lining the front of her driveway when she and her husband returned
home from vacation on March 30.

"It's a kind of harassment," Chason said.

Chason said that the corpses of a large opossum with a mouse in its
mouth, a skunk, a squirrel and a rabbit lined the driveway. She
called the Urbana police and WCIA Channel 3 news station, which ran a
story on the incident.

Chason said over the next two weeks, dead squirrels were placed in
her driveway. Chason said the Urbana police told her the squirrels
had been shot and left in the front yard.

"It felt very aggressive and threatening," Chason said. "But mostly
we felt really bad for the poor animals trying to make this sick
person's point."

Baldwin said the vandalism was "annoying and a little troubling" but
was not going to dissuade members of AWARE from their anti-war stance.

"They are trying to intimidate us but they are not going to," Baldwin
said. "There are much more serious ramifications to this war than a
little vandalism."

Send letters to letters at dailyillini.com .
Printer-friendly version

Today's News Stories

Universities object to music file-sharing lawsuit

Encephalitis concerns local health officials

State budget cuts threaten Discovery classes

Student follows teachings of Sai Baba

Clinton campaign manager speaks on campus

Anti-war activists claim harrassment

ISG cuts Tenant Union funding

Police Blotter

© 2003 Illini Media Company, all              rights reserved.
Contacts |Staff |Jobs |Ad Rates |Privacy Policy
--
Brooke Anderson
Email = brooke at shout.net