[Peace-discuss] Syria

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Apr 19 10:10:23 CDT 2003

Fear and anger in Syria

By Kim Ghattas
BBC correspondent in Damascus

In a year's time, there will be American tanks rumbling through the narrow
streets of this typical Middle Eastern city - at least that's what a lot of
people here are starting to believe as every day brings more US accusations
against Syria.

Under the vaulted roof of the beautiful souk al-Hamidiyyeh in the old city,
shoppers are going about their business. But, in the middle of the spice
market, the carpet sellers and the ice cream vendors, there's a palpable
tension.

One woman told me how worried she was. She didn't believe there was really
going to be an American war against Syria, but still she couldn't help
wondering.
A year ago, she said, the US was accusing Iraq of having weapons of mass
destruction and ties with terrorists. Now there were American tanks in
Baghdad. Would that be the lot of Syria a year down the line, she asked.

And, as very often in this region, the woman was convinced that, as a
journalist, I knew more than her about the American plans and begged me to
tell her what I thought was going to happen to her country.

Well, what I do know is that the US and Syria have never been great friends
for many reasons, all political. There's also a strong sense of nationalism
in Syria. Many of my friends here tell me that although they want to be
modern and connected to the rest of the world, they're proud Syria is still
resisting American pop culture, there are no McDonalds or Levi Jeans.

'Imperialistic troops'

There's always been distrust of the US here, but now there's also real anger,
and it's very obviously whipped up by the authorities.

I'm Lebanese and I speak Arabic and that's often helped me in my reporting to
get the trust of people I interview around the region, but now even that's
not enough to convince some people to talk to me as a BBC correspondent - and
I've had my share of insults from angry mobs.

Even Iraqis aren't immune to angry Syrians. Just before the fall of Baghdad,
I was standing by the side of the road talking to some Iraqis who were
telling me how much they hated Saddam Hussein and wanted to see him go.
They said it didn't matter if the US was waging the war because of Iraq's oil
- under Saddam they had never profited from the oil gains anyway, and they
didn't have any freedom.

Maybe the Americans would take the oil, but at least they would give Iraqis
their freedom.

All of a sudden, a Syrian man came up to us screaming. How dare they
criticise a leader who was fighting against the imperialistic troops? How
could they allow the Americans into their country?

'Traitor'

The Iraqis started screaming back, saying Arabs had never done anything for
the Iraqis, never said anything about Saddam killing his people by the
thousands, and now anti-war protesters around the world were brandishing
posters of Saddam. The Iraqis were furious.

The shouting match went on for a while before we managed to escape to a
nearby a shop and continue our conversation about the future of Iraq.

But then Baghdad fell without much of a fight and the Syrians were furious.
How dare Saddam give up like that? Where were the gates of hell he had
promised to the Americans?
Now there are rumours every day that wanted senior Iraqi officials are hiding
in Syria. Syria is probably the best way out - better than any of Iraq's
neighbours where they would walk straight into the arms of the Americans, or
in the case of Iran, into the arms of their worst enemy.

A very lonely, sad-looking Mohammed al-Douri, Iraq's man at the UN, is now
staying in my hotel in Damascus, but I haven't seen any wanted Iraqis here
yet.

And it may not be such a good idea for Saddam and his followers to head to
Syria anyway. One man I spoke to in Damascus said that the rumours about
Saddam fleeing to Syria were nonsense.

Saddam, he said, was a traitor for not fighting the Americans and if he even
dared showed up at the Syrian border he would be shot immediately for
betraying the Arab cause.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/29

58643.stm