[Peace-discuss] new flyer

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 20 00:49:58 CDT 2003

I like it.  And I like the idea of quotations.  Should more be added?

We should have leaflets ready for the events noted below -- the first two
are Monday and Tuesday of this week.  The topics and speakers are (for the
most part...) painfully conventional -- the whole things smacks of a
standard academic pacification campaign -- but perhaps the unnamed student
participants will liven it up.

I'm willing to do some leafletting and/or person a table with literature
on Monday and Tuesday.  Perhaps we should do some Commondreams and Znet
hardcopies (Roy, Fisk, Chomsky, etc.)  The whole thing seems to be
designed to convince people that things are getting back together,
competent professionals are in command, there's no cause for alarm, etc.,
etc.  Maybe we can suggest something else.

	=====================================
	From http://www.oc.uiuc.edu/oc/forum/
	=====================================

	CAMPUS FORUM EVENT SERIES
 	The Nation and International Conflict:
	Impacts on the Community, World, Country and Individual

This student-faculty forum series will examine the implications of ongoing
conflict between the United States and countries and non-state actors
across the globe. Each session will consist of three faculty presentations
and student panel responses, followed by presenters' replies to questions
from the audience.

All sessions will be held at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign in 100 Noyes Lab. Free and Open to the Public

Information Resources on the Nation and International Conflict

"The hope of democracy depends upon the diffusion of knowledge and
wisdom."

These words are carved above the entrance of the Main Library on the
University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana campus. On April 21, 2003
members of the campus community will join together to discuss and debate
the military conflict in Iraq. The following webpage,
http://www.library.uiuc.edu/edx/iraq.htm is brought to you by the
University Library in an effort to inform this debate. This page is not
comprehensive. The individuals developing the page hope to provide
material on both sides of the debate and provide the user with the means
to explore the issues raised in more depth.

Sponsored by: The Office of the Chancellor, the Office of the Provost, the
Student Peace Action Registered Student Organization, Program in Arms
Control, Disarmament, and International Security (ACDIS), Global
Crossroads, History, International Programs and Studies, College of Law,
the University Library, Department of Philosophy, Department of Political
Science, Program in South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies and the Program
for the Study of Religion.

*Monday, April 21, 7:00-10:00 pm - 100 Noyes Laboratory

Impacts on the Community: Explore the impact on U.S. and foreign nationals
engaged in the pursuit of knowledge.

Academic Freedoms (Matt Finkin, Law)

Libraries and Privacy (Leigh Estabrook, Library and Information Science
and Sociology)

International Student and Scholar Community (Ivor Emmanuel, Office of
International Student Affairs)

Student responders to be announced

To submit questions for these topics, send the following information:
Forum date, topic or speaker you are sending the question to, your name
and email address and your question.to: forum at admin.uiuc.edu

*Tuesday, April 22, 3:00-5:00 pm - 100 Noyes Laboratory

Impacts on the World: Look at the future of Iraq and its interaction with
the global community.

Physical Reconstruction in Iraq: At What Cost and Who Pays? (Hadi
Esfahani, Economics)

Political Reconstruction in Iraq: What is Possible, What is Likely? (Ed
Kolodziej, Political Science)

Arms Control and Disarmament: Iraq and the International Context (Cliff
Singer, ACDIS and Nuclear, Plasma, and Radiological Engineering)

and email address and your question.to: forum at admin.uiuc.edu

*Monday, April 28, 7:00-10:00 pm - 100 Noyes Laboratory

Impacts on the Country: Examine economic implications of war and homeland
defense for the global and U.S. economies.

Stable Oil Prices: Needed and Practicable? (Hadi Esfahani, Economics)

Guns and Tax Cuts: Economically Sustainable? (Robert Resek, Economics)

Guns and Tax Cuts: Politically Sustainable? (Paul Quirk, Institute of
Government and Public Affairs and Political Science)

Student responders will participate

and email address and your question.to: forum at admin.uiuc.edu

*Tuesday, April 29, 3:00-5:00 pm - 100 Noyes Laboratory

Impacts on the Individual: Examine questions of ethics and conscience in
troubling times.

The Role of Religion in This Conflict (Robert McKim, Philosophy and
Religious Studies)

Constraints from Ethics in War (Dwight Roblyer, ACDIS)

Conscience on Campus: Morality, Military Recruitment, and Conscientious
Objection (Monsignor Stuart Swetland, Religious Studies and Newman
Foundation)

and email address and your question.to: forum at admin.uiuc.edu

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Ricky Baldwin wrote:

> Unless anyone has serious objections, I'd like to ask for help
> distributing and posting a new flyer inviting people to join us on
> Prospect every week.
>
> I've made up a simple one, text below.  Anyone who wants it as a Word
> attachment, please let me know and I'll send it to you right away.
>
> Ricky
>
> [Picture this centered, with the first lines big and bold, etc.]
>
> OCCUPATION IS NOT LIBERATION
>
> Protest
>
> THIS SATURDAY 2-4 pm N. Prospect & Marketview Champaign
>
> "Never I thought this would happen to my country.  Now, I think, my
> sadness will never go away." – Iraqi mother
>
> "We're very glad to be rid of Saddam, but we don't trust the
> Americans
 We don't want a new dictator." – Iraqi protester