[Peace-discuss] Re: Mon. forum on campus

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 29 10:17:07 CDT 2003

I don't quite agree, Doug.  Military action -- killing people -- is the
means, not the end, of USG policy.  American economic elites would be
quite happy if the rest of the world would simply cooperate voluntarily in
order to enrich those elites and their allies in other countries
("globalization").  It's when the rest of the world becomes recalcitrant
(or possibly could, in the Bush view) that it's necessary to beat up one
of the weak ones badly to show the others what could happen.

And if by "media control" you mean the control exercised by the media over
the US populace, it's far from total, although its influence is of course
crucial for USG operations.  If you mean that the media is controlled by
someone else (like the USG), I don't think that's so.  The government
doesn't control General Motors in order to get it to pursue profit.
Similarly, the media as generally parts of large corporations pursue the
interests of their owners -- but even corporate control of the media is
not total (or you and I could never get published).

Regards, Carl