[Peace-discuss] you can go across the street

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 22 09:40:51 CDT 2003

I've been reading the correspondence with interest, and have this to
offer: I turn to WEFT to hear alternatives to the status quo---
hopefully, a wide range of alternatives. Presenting recruitments ads is
not an alternative---that's what's happening all the time, and on all the
other stations. So the 'diversity' argument really doesn't hold.

Did WEFT think I forgot the recruitment ads, and WEFT, in
order to fair and well-rounded, needs to add them in? Or that the
section of the 'community'(a word that encourages muddled thinking, as it
always assumes there is one) who breathlessly waits by the radio to hear
recruitment ads, has no other station to hear them on?

Hey honey you can just go across the street, any street, and get your
recruitment ads.

Now what Mr. Paul King writes, now THAT is an alternative. With teeth.
It bites. YES!

I would not find that across the street.

Let's have that played, if it's really the 'diversity' argument that's at
the core here. If the good people(and they are) who run WEFT use the argument of
'including all parts of the community' (as Jason does) then, to be
consistent, they would need to include what Mr. King has written.
And then that would satisfy me, who thinks WEFT is there to keep the
alternatives to the status quo open.

(But I suspect Weft won't play what Paul has written as a PSA. I can
anticipate the argument against using it:
that Paul's PSA will seem too slanted, too biased, and make people think
that this is what Weft supports. Or perhaps, sweet hopeful perhaps, I'm
wrong?)

What the ACLU does, and what's embodied in the old saying, "I may
disagree with what you're saying, but I'll defend to the death your right
to say it" are elegant, and necessary, articulations of freedom of speech.

But the case at hand is not a moment where someone's right to say a
military recruitment ad, is being threatened. Oh no sirree. Quite
the opposite---we're bombarded with that stuff. What's
threatened are the spaces and contexts where we can hear something
(oh please let us hear something) that provides an alternative to what's
going on constantly.

I've found the 'let's have ALL voices of the community heard' argument,
generally the position used to defend the status quo, and is almost always
accompanied by the sister opinion, 'let's not get too extreme'. So an
Army recruitment PSA will be defended by the 'let's hear all the voices of
the community..', and a PSA such as Paul writes, will be rejected as 'too
extreme'.

If Jason were older, he would have read the correspondence that flurried
around initial publications of MS magazine and other feminist
publications, where the same argument Jason uses, was used by people who
felt the magazine should represent 'all aspects and opinions of women's
life', and thus include articles about movie stars and beauty regimes
and diets and how to have the best sex life.  That argument was squelched
very quickly, as we women desperately wanted alternatives, wanted
publications that took a stand AGAINST, that made and guarded a space for
alternatives to the status quo.

Jason, it's the value of the arguments you're using that I'm questioning,
not your value, not Weft's. I'm an old respecter of your persistence with WEFT.

AND I see alternatives to the status quo shrinking, and the status quo growing.
The media situation we're in is unprecedented, in terms of the tightening and
shrinking of the language produced. The language of George Bush is in the
mouths of 2 year olds, of workers supporting tax cuts for the rich, of
poor teenagers who think they'll get ahead by joining the Army..

I turn to Weft for its implicit rejection of that language, that world
view.