[Peace-discuss] Re: [Wefta] military recruitment on WEFT (!)

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 09:50:27 CDT 2003

and this is not accurate.   Military education in the form of technical
training has provided excellent education for individuals who would not have
received it otherwise.  Although with airman, sailors, marines, and soldiers are
engaged in active combat  the public focus is on combat, technical training for
combat support and combat support jobs is more prevalent.  Very few actual
warriors are assigned to combat military occupational specialities.  While all
warroirs must be proficient in combat tactics or survival skills, the majority
are in technical support areas for which military education is very good and
does provide individuals with marketable skills.  That has been the proven
history of military service and military education. Even quick review of the
technical education curriculum for various occupational specialities across the
military services shows the benefits of the education programs that are in place.
As to the GI bill; our nation's 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and 90's  economic
gains were in part due to the use of the GI bill by individuals who were out,
discharged, and still in the military to complete post secondary education
programs.  My own academic education though my Ph.D. was paid for and completed in
large part on my scholarships awarded my own military service in two wars. In
Illinois you earn free college education through tuition waivers at all state
schools in addition to the GI bill benefits.  That is why individuals enlist and
continue to enlist. It is from an academic and educational analysis a very
good benefit. However, when they have to go to war or are called up for other
military duty they are suprised.  Now, the moral and ethical considerations are
very important given our national and Department of Defense leader's recent
and proposed combat initiatives. We can discuss that and should. Also, the
environmental and especially health (psychological and pyysiological) consequences
of war as evidenced by horrible initial and ongoing health effects of Agent
Orange and Agent Blue exposures from Vietnam era, the complex exposures from
Gulf War I (with approximately 30% of Gulf War I participants and increasing
daily now on partial or full Department of Veterans Affairs disability) and the
same effects on all coalition, and Iraqi military personnel but most important
noncombatants from Gulf War I and now the looming asverse health effects of
Gulf war II verifies the futility of war. If we want to stem the source cannon
fodder, people, for conducting  war then we must teach about what the
consequences of war are not try to  get individuals not to enlist because we tell them
education and training is of no benefit because it actually is an excellent
benefit with excellent outcomes and especially for minorities who may have never
received the technical education unless the enlisted in the military.

and in repeat---

A Commitment to Peace
Major Doug Rokke, Ph.D.

September 18, 2002

    As I sit here tonight unable to sleep, my mind is considering the
ramifications of potential and ongoing military actions and economic sanctions. As a
disabled warrior with combat experience in two wars, Vietnam and Desert Storm,
I can only hope and pray that the outcomes of these actions do not leave
another trail of adverse health and environmental problems.  I have concluded that
we must unite in a concerted effort to prevent additional suffering.
Throughout the history of the world those who make a commitment to peace have endured
isolation and retaliation when they challenged the individuals and
governments seeking economic and political advantages.  A vision of peace where all
nations can live together for the common good is an ideal dream but may be
unrealistic.  War is the ultimate weapon a nation or leaders can use to control the
allocation and use of food, water, terrain, shelter, and mineral resources.
War occurs when nations or individuals fail to reach a satisfactory compromise
on sharing of these limited resources.  Today we are reaching another
crossroads in history where we must decide which road we follow. We can select peace or
go to war.  One means life the other means death!  The prevalent modus
operandi at this time of those seeking power and control is to threaten economic
sanctions or military attacks in order to achieve their goals and objectives.
This is unacceptable. We must act to with a unified and strong voice prevent
nations and leaders from imposing their demands on others. At the same time we
must make sure that those nations and leaders who pose a viable threat to peace
are checkmated. But that does not mean that we result to military force.
There are many options but only wise persons are willing to discuss and mutually
select the option most beneficial to all.   Today information control is used
to prevent discussion and debate.  If a person does not have adequate and
validated information they will be unable to contribute to the resolution of
serious problems.  We must ensure the complete dissemination of information even if
that information reveals illegal or disturbing actions by our own or any other
nation.  These ways to achieve peace will require a commitment of time,
financial resources, knowledge, attitudes, life, liberty, and willingness to endure
isolation and retaliation by any person who wishes to contribute towards the
resolution of local, state, national or international problems.  The choice is
ours.  We can select a life as a mushroom or we can select to act.  I select
action for if peace is to be achieved then I must "let peace begin with me".