[Peace-discuss] US recruiting Iraqi agents

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 25 23:15:28 CDT 2003

I didn't see it in the N-G either, but it was in the NYT and elsewhere
last month.  The following is from News notes 030727:

"HEY, WE DID THE SAME THING WITH THE NAZIS. The United States has moved to
resurrect parts of Iraq's once-feared intelligence service, with the
branch that monitors Iran among the top priorities. The Iraqi National
Congress, which is led by Ahmad Chalabi, the longtime exile who is now a
member of the Iraqi Governing Council, says its senior officials have met
with senior members of the so-called Iran and Turkey branch of the
Mukhabarat, or Iraqi intelligence, over the past several weeks. [NYT
0722]"