[Peace-discuss] More tho'ts/Sadam capture

John Baldridge webmaster at one-world.org
Sun Dec 14 15:39:53 CST 2003

Hey, everyone,

What I will undoubtedly find most insufferable is the way the Bushies
will play this up as some sort of ultimate "victory" in Iraq.  There
will likely be a show trial, followed by a firing squad, all presided
over by Cheney and Wolfowitz's handpicked Iraqi Council members, and
covered in full color and stereo by all the news networks, who will milk
it for all they can.  Meanwhile, as word of his capture spread through
Iraq, another car bombing killed 17 people west of Baghdad, and another
US soldier was killed in a separate incident.  I suspect that Hussein's
capture will change things very little on the ground, but time will tell.

As far as Jenifer's comments on the UN, she is absolutely right that
many Iraqis blame the UN for over a decade of hardships, hence the
attacks on UN offices and workers.  One of the problems with the UN is
that it is, in many ways, a very dis-unified entity.  When it comes to
security issues, actions (or inactions) reflect the will of a small
group of elite nations.  When it comes to matters of humanitarian
assistance and aid, the UN reflects a much broader contribution from
countries and NGOs that really do want to be constructive.  Iraq is an
excellent example of a case where the powerbrokers in the Security
Council undermined the potential of the rest of the UN to do effective
humanitarian work in Iraq.  The refusal to ease sanctions--even in light
of real concessions on the part of the Iraqi government--made what UN
efforts there were (i.e., the Oil-for-Food Program, etc) inadequate and
insulting to many.  And the inability of other nations to force a change
in UN sanctions policy left many with the impression (perhaps rightly
so) that the organization's security apparatus is so fundamentally
flawed that, in Iraq, the UN as a whole has done more harm than good.

But then, on the other hand, unless we want to continue with the
existing dog-eat-dog nation-statism that defines much of global politics
and militarism today, the UN is the only game in town when it comes to
cooperation and action on a worldwide scale.  In areas other than
security, the UN enjoys tremendous success:  the WHO, UNICEF, and many
other UN organizations continue to broker and maintain international
agreements that benefit the general population.  In the realm of
security, the track record is much poorer, though there are some notable
successes when it comes to cleaning up the mess left behind by
unilateral intervention (take Haiti, for example).  With the right
planning and execution, a UN operation could go a long way to
stabilizing Iraq and legitmizing whatever form of government emerges
there next.  The strucure of the Security Council, however, will make
this difficult.

All of this points to the need for drastic reform of the UN Security
Council.  We've all known this for at least a decade, and the past 10-12
years have driven the point home hard with a number of object lessons,
Iraq chief among them.  But this doesn't mean we should give up on the
UN.  Kucinich's call for the UN to be the prime mover in post-war Iraq
is a reaffirmation that he, if elected president, will re-engage with
the world community through this representative body, and place America
on a path to greater multilateral cooperation.  Yes, it would be hard to
convince other member states to assume the risks of a UN operation in
Iraq, but then, if we can get Bush out next year, and replace him with
someone less atavistic, that might restore some of the confidence we
have lost among other countries.

Peace,

John.