[Peace-discuss] Iraq

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Dec 15 18:31:39 CST 2003

Some axioms on Iraq:

a) There is very little reliable information about the reactions of the
Iraqis to the American occupation, the Coalition Provisional Authority,
the guerilla movement, their desires for government and how the
political process will evolve. We will just have to wait and see. There
are no reliable experts in good touch with the whole population, and we
have very little reliable and extensive reporting, the NYT, Robert Fisk
and Patrick Cockburn notwithstanding. All seems to be speculation and
wishful(?) thinking at this point.

b) The Bush administration cannot allow a truly democratic process to
take place in Iraq, because it would thwart its goals. Similarly, it
cannot allow a fair trial of Saddam Hussein because it would then be
exposed for its (embarassing) former links to him.

c) The Bush (and succeeding U.S.) administration(s), having undertaken
military aggression in Iraq and gaining control of its resources, will
not relinquish its position of power in Iraq unless forced to by
political events at home.

Just thought I'd air these impressions on the current events.

MKB