[Peace-discuss] Greens File in Champaign County, Chicago

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:32:25 CST 2003

Today members of the Illinois Green Party filed petitions to run in the
Champaign County elections.  Our status is uncertain at this point (see
the champaign county clerk's webpage:
http://champaigncountyclerk.com/2004candidatefilings.htm  )

This opportunity arose from the tremendous work done two summers ago by
the Carl Estabrook Congressional campaign.  I've attached John Paul's
comments on what's currently going on

>>> John Paul
Hello,
  Just talked to Mark Shelden on the phone. Apparently Green party
filings
here and in Chicago have set the phone lines buzzing. No one in the
election business really knows what is supposed to happen. The Illinois

Board of Elections, Chicago Board of Elections, Illinois Attorney
General's Office, Champaign County States Attorney's Office and the
Champaign County Clerk's office are all discussing the matter
(hilarious
in and of itself). The Illinos Attorney General's Office has made an
unofficial comment (NOT an unofficial opinion, which despite the name
is a
big deal) that the Green party should not have precinct committee
folks,
but they don't really have any strong reasoning.