[Peace-discuss] What we're up against.....

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 18 00:30:18 CST 2003

The problem is (and I think Breslin would agree) that the people he quotes
are not necessarily ignoramuses.  They've been effectively sold a
murderous bill of goods.

It's hardly the first time in living memory that such a thing has
happened, and it's not an accident.  Hitler in Mein Kampf said that
Germany lost the First World War because it hadn't mastered the arts of
propaganda as the Allies had.  He said that that wouldn't happen again.

We're up against the necessity of exposing the falsity of that view.  As
Chomsky says, "There are no magic answers, no miraculous methods to
overcome the problems we face, just the familiar ones: honest search for
understanding, education, organization, action that raises the cost of
state violence for its perpetrators or that lays the basis for
institutional change -- and the kind of commitment that will persist
despite the temptations of disillusionment, despite many failures and only
limited successes, inspired by the hope of a brighter future."

Regards, Carl