[Peace-discuss] U.N.

John Baldridge webmaster at one-world.org
Thu Dec 18 19:42:28 CST 2003

   I, for one, have long felt that the UN is badly in need of security
reform, and the current situation could be an opportunity for a large
bloc of developing countries (perhaps composed mainly of "nonaligned"
nations) to force a make-or-break decision on Securiity Council
restructuring.  But, not surprisingly, I think it would be a grave
mistake for those same countries to effectively dissolve the UN by
withdrawing from it altogether.  To do so would severely undermine the
many successful operations which have grown since its inception.  Just a
very few operations which spring to mind include UNICEF, the UN
Commission on Human Rights, the Postal and Telecommunications Unions,
and the World Health Organization.

   Mind you, I will not contend that the UN is without serious
problems.  The Security Council continues to be slanted towards the old
colonial powers, and has a dismal record in regulating the military
behavior of its principal members.  However, considering the UN as a
whole, what other organization engages the governments of 191 countries
in anything approaching a democratic forum?  The vast majority of the
world population remains very supportive of the UN and its Charter.
It's failures in matters of war do not invalidate its other successes,
nor outweigh them.

   Dissolving the United Nations would set back the cause of global
cooperation by decades, and would create even more fertile ground for
the unfettered expansion of capitalist globalism.  It would certainly
play right into the hands of the Bush regime, since it would be easier
to "divide and conquer" if the developing world divided itself even
further by picking up and leaving in the absence of a viable
alternative.  As it is, even the current government feels pressure to at
least attempt to justify their actions on the global stage provided by
the United Nations.  Imagine a world where even that check was removed.

   Social movements (e.g. the WSF) must continue to organize and work
for peace and justice.  Socially conscious governments (such that there
are) should form alliances and promote sustainable and equitable
economic policies which do not merely favor corporate exploitation.  So,
too, should the UN remain as a forum for debate, action, mutual aid, and
global cooperation, and to hold out the hope of controlling militarism.

   It has been less than 60 years since the UN's founding, and it has
made great strides in many areas.  It has been barely 10 years since the
end of the Cold War, which essentially defined the structure of the
Security Council.  This is not the time to abandon the United Nations.
It is the time to lobby for a more representative Security Council which
recognizes and respects the needs of more than five member states.  It
is the time to reaffirm the social, economic, and environmental promise
offered by UN-brokered cooperation.  It is time to commit to the
struggle of taking another step forward, rather than ten steps back.

Peace,

John.