[Peace-discuss] Champaign to Washington to Baghdad, Freedom Denied

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 22 13:49:18 CST 2003

[I think Ricky's quite right that "we desperately need some volunteers to
write letters to the editor exposing the truth behind the myth of broad
'freedom' in the US and 'liberated' Iraq," particularly in light of the
evidence adduced.
	I'm appending a note I sent privately to Phil Bloomer, who writes
for the News-Gazette, regarding a column of his that appeared Dec. 8.
Perhaps surprisingly, the N-G doesn't seem to archive his columns on their
web-site.  This one took the occasion of the Pearl Harbor anniversary (and
a parallel drawn to guess what?) -- and of an abortive conference about
the Robinson, Illinois, novelist James Jones -- to draw a distinction
between questioning the morality of the war and "question[ing] the
integrity and sacrifice of the common soldier."  (Strange how infrequently
the distinction is drawn about, say, German and Japanese soldiers in
WWII.)  Bloomer writes about a Champaign resident, "Capt. Andrew Deponai
... commander of a tank company that was in the eye of the orchestrated
guerrilla attacks on the U.S. military in the town of Samarra ... U.S.
forces used tanks and cannons to fight their way out of the two-pronged
ambush, killing 54 Iraqis, according to military accounts..." It has been
suggested that the "military accounts" of what happened there somewhat
shaded the truth, mirabile dictu.
	I'll try to squeeze this note into 250 words for the editor at the
N-G, or elsewhere.  I'd appreciate comments.  --CGE]