Organic meat, was Re: [Peace-discuss] AWARE minutes

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Sun Dec 28 20:56:42 CST 2003

Just to offer some options to hardcore meat eaters, a local farmer
(Moore Farm) sells organic meat, you can / could get in touch with them
at the Farmer's Market.

Here's a longer list of local producers:

http://co-op.champaign.il.us/fp/localfood/directory.html

Through Fruited Plain Cooperative Society and PCSA (Prairieland
Community Supported Agriculture) you can also get organic meat products:

http://co-op.champaign.il.us/fp/

http://www.prairienet.org/pcsa/pcsa.htm

I'd highly recommend both of them, and feel free to contact me about
them (or just contact them).

Ken

Disclaimer: Farm raised animals are much better off than factory farmed
animals, eating no meat is better still.

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246
>>> Al Kagan <akagan at uiuc.edu> 12/28/03 6:35 PM >>>
AWARE Minutes  12/28/03

Mort  facilitated.  Al took the minutes.

1. News of the Week.  Carl was sick and did not attend.  For
information on mad cow disease, see Howard Lyman's book, Mad Cowboy.

2. MLK Day.  Peter asked for comments on the draft ad for the joint
cities brochure that will be distributed at the Holiday Inn event,
Jan. 16th, 4PM.  We will pay $100 for the ad.  We will leaflet at the
University's event at Krannert Performance Center, Jan. 18th, 5 PM.
We can use the flyer that connects war and racism.  We need to bring
the University regulations that show we have the right to leaflet
inside the building (Rule 103D3, Code of Policies and Regulations
Applying to All Students,
http://www2.uiuc.edu/admin_manual/code/rule_103.html).  Al will bring
a copy to the next meeting. We will bring flyers for the table at the
Monday Prayer Breakfast.

[Note: can someone verify that AWARE is still a UIUC "registered
organization"?]

3. Events of the past week.  Ken reported that the local Green Party
has sued to get on the Champaign County ballot.

4. Coming events.  Prospect for Peace next Saturday.

5. Follow-up from AWARE benefit.  We should probably do a press
release on giving the funds to Oxfam Iraq and the local Red Cross.
We will discuss again next meeting.

6. Big Noise tour.  Peter reported that he is trying to get them to
come in April.  They have a new documentary on non-violent resistance
movements.

7. Veterans and their Families Speak Out.  Remember that we have
invited the anti-war mother of a recently killed anti-war Illinois
soldier to speak at the end of March.  She is Rosmary Dietz Slavenas
and her son was Brian Slavenas.  Brian graduated from UIUC in 2002.
Al will follow-up when the time gets closer.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519