[Peace-discuss] Ralph Nader's letter to Greens

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Sun Dec 28 21:06:01 CST 2003

Since Ralph's Green connection (or lack thereof) was mentioned during
the meeting, here's a copy of his letter to the National Green Party.

Ken

To: The Steering Committee of the U.S.
Green Party and the Presidential Exploratory
Committee of the Green Party
From: Ralph Nader
Date: December 22, 2003

I am writing to withdraw my name from
consideration as a potential nominee for
the Green Party presidential ticket in
2004.

I write this with regret because of my support
for your platform and civic activities,
because of our shared political history and
because of the numerous efforts I have made,
over the years since 1996, to help grassroots
Greens build the Party. Since running as your
nominee in 2000 through all 50 states - from
the disenfranchised Anacostia in Washington,
D.C. to corporate-dominated Alaska, from
downtown Hartford to the pilot industrial hemp
field of Hawaii (not to mention those states
where we had to help build the party from
scratch) -- I have met with Greens from around
the country and the world, scheduled and
completed more than 45 fundraisers in some 30
states, assisted in starting the Campus Greens
and supported more than a few state and local
Green candidates. I remain a registered
Independent. But my efforts to build the Green
Party and my public contributions on issues of
importance to Greens can be compared favorably
with those who wear their Green Party
registrations as some badge or bona fides. More
recently, as part of my exploratory effort, I
have met or spoken with Greens from all over
the country in extensive conversations, heard
from even more through sign-on letters, Kucinich
supporters, Greens for Dean, state and local
Green groups, newspaper and magazine accounts,
including the Green Pages and Green Horizon,
etc., all of which illustrate how the reaction
to George W. Bush, has fractured - more than
galvanized -- the Greens as a Party. Most
individuals have the best intentions, and there
are people who have now dedicated years to help
building the Greens. However, many of the
communications I have received express volumes
about the maturity of the Greens as a political
party.

Although its growth has been slower than many
of us would like, the Green Party at least
remains poised to respond to the voters' desire
for a third party. The failure of the two major
parties both to engage 100 million nonvoters
and to provide existing voters with choices
over a broad range of important issues has been
a continual reality for Greens. With this in
mind, uncertainty expressed by the Party's
leadership regarding the conditions under which
the Party may or may not field Presidential and
Vice-presidential candidates in 2004 can only
be interpreted is a confused retreat.

Specifically, the Steering Committee has
declared in reference to whether "the Green
Party will (or won't) run a high- (or low-)
profile candidate for President in 2004, and
that the candidate will (or won't) drop out
in their (sic) run for the Presidency before
Election day, possibly making some kind of
accommodation (or not) with the Democrats and
their candidate!" that: "The truth is, no one
person or group of persons, inside or outside
of the Green Party will make those types of
critical decisions in the Green Party. The
strategy the Green Party pursues will be
arrived at through a comprehensive process
that is beginning now and will go on in every
state Green Party, either through conventions
or primaries. The conventions and primaries
will in turn select delegates from every state
Green Party who will come together at our
National Convention in the summer of 2004 to
make a final, collective decision as to whether
the Green Party will run a presidential
candidate, and, if so, who that person will
be." (First emphasis in the original, underlines
added. Source: Green Party of the United States
mailing signed by members of the Steering
Committee June 5, 2003. See, as just two of many
additional recent examples, Dec. 16, 2003 USGP
Proposal to Create a Presidential Support
Committee, "whether we will have a Presidential
candidate is not 100% settled"; Oct 28, 2003
National Press Release, "The decision about whom,
how, and whether to run in the 2004 national
election will be made democratically by all the
accredited state Green Parties at the Milwaukee
convention." (Emphasis added.))

The occasion for this letter is not simply that
there are robust contending views about whether
to have a Presidential candidate and under which
strategies and conditions, but that - should I
decide to run -- it is not feasible within the
difficult parameters of state and federal
election laws to wait and see what the Green
Party will do in June 2004. Indeed, the
framework and schedule you have chosen for
making a decision seems itself tilted against
anyone contemplating a serious ran, as your
nominee. Many grassroots Greens who have views
contrary to this procedure are not, nor are they
going to be, in control of how this decision is
going to be made or unmade. It has already been
made.

I cannot, nor could any serious potential
candidate, embark on a committed campaign for
President as a Green Party nominee when the
Party will not even be certain whether or how
it wishes to run a candidate until June 2004.
Nor would it be tolerable (not to mention
counterproductive for ballot lines, local
candidates, party growth and vote totals),
for the Party to impose on its nominee varying
geographical limits to campaigning. Nor, under
such ambiguous conditions could a committed
candidate run the risk that individual state
parties would prevent the national nominee
access to their ballot lines for whatever
conceived motives, with little penalty for
nonacquiescence to the convention decision.
The deadlines for obtaining ballot access in
many states come due prior to, or around your
convention's decision. Were I to become a
candidate, I would not want to launch a
campaign with such an uncertain compass
regarding what should be a bedrock, genetic
determination to run presidential and
vice-presidential candidates all out - which
is what, after all, national political parties
-- as opposed to movements -- do.

As you know, I have scrupulously refrained
from interfering in any internal Green Party
matters. For purposes of encouraging more
intensive and resourceful initiatives, I have
commented on the need to expand the number
of state Green offices through more assiduous
fundraising and on the importance of running
more candidates. The Green Party has endless
opportunities to field candidates, especially
among the 2.5 million elective offices at the
state and local levels, many of which offer
no opposition to the incumbents by the other
major party. Given the absence of decision
that has been effectively formalized into an
unchanging, misguided national procedure on
the presidential front, I submit that 2004
might be the year that the Green Party makes
a deeper commitment to building the party
through state and local candidacies. I and
many Greens concur that this is the Party's
clearest present strength and will be the
source of its important talent in the future.
During the 2001, 2002 and 2003 elections,
Greens won approximately twenty-five percent
of the local offices they contested.

Accordingly, for the reasons described above,
I am withdrawing my name from consideration
and wish the Party and its local community
adherents the best in their future endeavors.
I still believe that Americans deserve more
political parties and better choices than
the rhetoric and offerings of the two major
parties. I believe in giving people real
power to achieve solutions to the problems
we have today and in the long term potential
for a reorganized Green Party. In the event
I should still decide to become a presidential
candidate, any collaborative efforts that are
possible, especially at the state and local
level, would be welcome.

Sincerely, Ralph Nader