[Peace-discuss] Statement in Support of Urbana City Council

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Feb 3 14:45:52 CST 2003

Statement of Dr. Doug Rokke, Major, Medical Service Corps, U.S. Army Reserve
in support of  proposed Urbana City Council "Resolution Opposing War Against
Iraq".

I am a disabled combat veteran of the Vietnam War and Gulf War I.  The
weapons and combat techniques used during Gulf War I resulted in extensive
environmental contamination with over 221000 U.S. combat veterans now on VA
disability and over 10000 dead as result of combat injuries and exposures.
This represents almost 1/3 of the force.  The world wide casualty count now
exceeds 2 million while medical care and environmental remediation are
ignored. Urbana residents and those of surrounding communities are ill and
some have died as a consequence of Gulf War I duties. However, combat
veterans must fight for adequate medical care that the Danville/ Illiana VA
and community health resources are unable to provide. Today, Congressman
Johnson's staff still is attempting to force the VA to provide care for Gulf
war I casualties while DOD enters another unjustified war. In too many cases,
Gulf War I veterans including too many from our community have been denied
care with terrible consequences.  Today, all evidence indicates that U.S.
forces will once more use depleted uranium munitions, destroy Iraq's
infrastructure, detonate with incomplete destruction and thus spread any
discovered weapons of mass destruction in place, kill noncombatants, and
cause unacceptable collateral damage through out the Persian Gulf region.
Department of Defense officials have acknowledged that they are sending
troops into combat with defective gas masks and chemical protection suits and
still continue with combat plans. Our community emergency response agencies
are also unprepared to respond to any consequent incident caused by Gulf War
II.  As a U.S. Army officer; Gulf War I and Army expert in nuclear,
biological, and chemical warfare; member of Gulf War I theater medical
command staff, the Army health physicist who cleaned up depleted uranium
contamination, counter-terrorism instructor, and as an U.S. Army medical
intelligence and operations officer who helped plan Gulf War II, I must
request and urge the Urbana City Council to pass the Resolution Opposing War
Against Iraq because we cannot deal with the adverse health and environmental
consequences of war.  War has become obsolete and if we support the
administration and thus send the pride of our community into this toxic
wasteland for an illegal preemptive attack our lives will be affected for
decades. I must emphasize that opposing war is pro-veteran and warrior
because it preserves life. Thank you.