[Peace-discuss] disappearing signs

Jim Buell jbuell at uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 4 13:46:54 CST 2003

Ricky and a couple of other folks mentioned last Sunday that their No Iraq
War signs had disappeared from their yards. Add me to that list: swiped
less than a day after I put it up in front of my house in a quiet Urbana
cul-de-sac. (I had heard what sounded like a pickup truck stopping, then
going again, out front just before it happened, so I don't think it was an
immediate neighbor.) At any rate, I'm in need of buying a couple more. (One
comes down, two go up :).) Are they available now at the IMC and/or the
food co-op?

Also, I'll be writing the following on the bottom of the new ones (I
mention this in case anyone wants to copy the idea) - expanding on a
suggestion made by Jay, as I recall: "PLEASE DON'T STEAL THIS SIGN. It is
private property and Constitutionally protected speech, and it is a tiny
part of local, national and global efforts to save millions of lives and
preserve essential humanitarian ideals. If you have concerns or questions,
let's talk." And including first name and phone number. Sheesh, are we
utopians, or what? :-)

Jim