[Peace-discuss] Conscientious Objection

paul michael king pmking at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 4 22:16:32 CST 2003

Hello everyone,

I have a local friend in the Army National Guard who has heard that she
will be receiving orders to ship out to the middle east within a few
weeks, if not sooner.

She is worried, scared and morally opposed to the war. She is interested
in learning more about conscientious objection, (depleted uranium,
political analysis, etc...). She desperately needs support from her
community. I've told her all I know, which is not much. She needs to know
what her options are.

What can we do as AWARE? As veterans? As her community? As individuals?
Has anyone made any headway on finding a pro bono lawyer for the group?
What kind of support can we give her and others like her? Who can I put
her in contact with? She needs counseling. She needs to be with others
like her. We need answers fast. Please send me any names or advice you may
have. I will be talking to her tomorrow. I will forward all emails to her.

Thank you!

..::Paul King

    "The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think,
      and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know...
         Do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough..."
              -- John Adams, 2nd president of the US --