[Peace-discuss] Conscientious Objection

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Tue Feb 4 23:14:06 CST 2003

I see you have Joe Miller on your recipients list. He should be a good
person to start with. All I can suggest are the other people along with him
on the agenda at the Champaign Library talk last Sunday. Here's a rundown
on who spoke, and their topics.

>Mary Lee Sargent - a history of conscientious objection
>Merlin Taber - experiences as a Quaker C.O. in World War II
>Bill Taylor - experiences as a C.O. during the Vietnam War (he fulfilled
>his alternative service at Channing-Murray, in fact - now lives near
>Allerton Park)
>Joe Miller (VVAW) - becoming an anti-war activist after a career in Naval
>intelligence (his recounting of being in the Tonkin Gulf during the
>'incident' is quite interesting)
>Cameron Satterthwaite - on groups who participate in tax resistance, and a
>perennial push in Congress for an Alternative Peace Tax

By the way, Clint prepared an audio CD from the minidisc recording I made
at the Sunday event. I'll leave several copies at the IMC desk tomorrow
afternoon, for whoever would like them.

Jim