[Peace-discuss] Assume they find WMDs

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Thu Feb 6 12:54:22 CST 2003

I'd second both your arguments - no amount of hidden weapons could justify
the US government's engaging in a pre-emptive invasion and war that is
predicted, and intended, to kill half a million civilians. As even American
Legion types are fond of saying, "This country doesn't start wars, we
finish them." (Yeah, I know that isn't the historical reality, but the
so-called Bush Doctrine yanks away even the pretense in an abhorrent new
way. Most people, in the US as elsewhere, are repulsed by that, I think.)

Even people who somehow believe that incinerating another half-million
Iraqis would be "worth it" (re-borrowing Madeline Albright's words) to save
a few thousand Americans, would have to realize that a massacre of this
scale is guaranteed to lead to massive retaliatory terrorism for
generations to come. And even that says nothing of what an even more
emboldened group of US militarists and profiteers would be itching to
perpetrate elsewhere around the globe, if this invasion turns out to be as
much a turkey-shoot as the attackers think it will be - and what the
spiralings into a brutal, totalitarian global empire. That's not only
nightmarish - it's utterly unsustainable given how over-armed the nations
of this planet are. The answer has to revolve around putting the power and
resources of this nation and the world into furthering real democratic aims
like those articulated in FDR's Four Freedoms speech and the UN's 1948
Universal Declaration on Human Rights. That cannot be done at missile
point, and certainly not by setting up the kind of corporate-friendly
neo-colonial kleptocracy that is envisioned for a post-apocalyptic, er,
post-war, Iraq.

Jim