[Peace-discuss] Assume they find WMDs

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 6 16:09:32 CST 2003

I agree that we should start using these arguments –
last year.  For most of us, any finding of WMD’s in
Saddam backyard won’t change our opinion.  Even a UN
Security Council vote, or a Congressional declaration
of war, wouldn’t sway us.  We’re against war because
it’s crazy, immoral and stupid.

As Jim says, war will only get us more blowback – and
debt – not protect us.

As John says, the US is in violation of UN
Resolutions, and so are several of our allies – in the
case of Turkey and Israel, quite a few more violations
than Iraq.  Some of these, by the way, involve
“weapons of mass destruction”. (And the US is still
the only country ever in the whole history of the
world to drop an atomic bomb on anybody, let us not
forget, both times on civilian targets, in violation
of the rules of war at the time.  So can “we” be
trusted more than Saddam Hussein?  Obviously not,
especially since we backed him for years.  That’s not
guilt; that’s evidence.)

The Bush Administration has been backing away since it
took office, too, from what progress had been made
towards reducing the world’s nuclear arsenals, right?
Same goes for landmines and many other monstrous
inventions, as Margaret always reminds us.  In my
opinion, we should take every opportunity to take up
Bush's call for disarmament, and turn it back on him:

Sure, we want Iraq disarmed, along with Israel and the
whole region (as called for in the UN Resolutions
passed twelve years ago), as well as the US and
everybody else.  But let’s not be hypocrites.  Let’s
start with the country with the most “weapons of mass
destruction”, the country that trains and supplies the
most terrorists, the country we have the most
influence over, the country we have a democratic right
to control – not small fry like Saddam Hussein.

But the single-minded question will always be: So how
do we deal with Saddam Hussein?  I think we shouldn’t
dodge the question.  We do have a special
responsibility in Iraq, and several other countries
where the US influence has not been exactly good for
the locals.  Our first responsibility there must be to
help the Iraqi people: aid not sanctions.  Shouldn’t
there at least be an arms embargo?  Definitely, for
the whole region.  In fact, we should start treating
the arms trade like the slave trade.  Then we can get
down to some serious negotiations that might help
somebody (not an easy task even then, but a damn sight
better than in the present tinderbox setting).

Anyway, that’s my idea.  Others will have theirs.  And
it is worth a little discussion, but ultimately we
don’t need a polished and perfected plan unless we
have some dream of implementing it.  What we need to
be doing is talking to more and more people, spreading
the good word and trying to find a few more helpers.
Maybe we should be having this discussion in the
context of “How to Talk to Your Neighbors About the
War” - ?

Maybe we could even practice on each other?

Ricky