[Peace-discuss] Michael Lerner

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Thu Feb 13 21:51:17 CST 2003

At 09:02 PM 2/13/2003 -0600, Morton K.Brussel wrote:
>My guess is that many people who signed on to the letter condemning the
>San Francisco organisers of the protest/rally did not wait to learn the
>full story, and were conned by the likes of David Corn,  Marc Cooper and
>Eric Alterman, "cruise missile liberals" on the Nation staff. McChesney
>was only one of many I was surprised to see signing on to that letter.
>I've got to believe they did it through ignorance.
>
>The whole business is unfortunate and harmful to our anti-war efforts.
>
>Mort Brussel

I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happened. I did notice on
Common Dreams that the organizers (NION, UFPJ, BAUAW as well as ANSWER) are
taking pains to set the record straight on this tempest-in-a-teapot.
(http://www.commondreams.org/news2003/0211-01.htm) I really do hope that
Bob McC and other signers will shed some light on what happened. While the
ANSWER leadership do sound like an unappealing crew in some ways, I don't
see Corn, Cooper et al. setting up alternative hundred-thousand-strong
protests, and my hat's off to anybody who can pull off such events at a
time like this. I agree - the carping is very unfortunate.

jb