[Peace-discuss] Tires Plus: Expect meanness, respond with kindness or disengageme nt

Carol Inskeep inskeep at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 17 13:34:30 CST 2003

my two cents:

- very hostile folks are intentionally trying to provoke us, get us off
track and intimidate others from joining us.  it's in our best interest to
minimize conflicts with passer-by and tires plus and keep the focus on
winning over the many sympathetic people we come in contact with.  i also
think we don't want to send off alarms for business owners out on prospect
by starting a boycott.  explicitly warning people that tires plus is
hostile and we shouldn't park there is probably enough.

- i think it'd be great to have a working group of folks who help us
define what we're aiming for in our own behavior and orientation while
protesting, particularly with regard to those who are hostile.  is anyone
interested in coordinating it?

- i think it'd be a good idea to try to get some log of "incident reports"
for any violent things that happen - a basic thing that would describe the
incident, give relevant info (license numbers), and contact info for those
who saw/were involved in the incident.  these might help us if anything
escalates in order to show a pattern of behavior.

and in general i'll just say the protests are really going well; the
location is marvelous for its high visibility and familiarity; and new
people are finding us every week.  we're on the right track...

carol